• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Star tracking with LRTimeLapse Pro Timer 3 (and Dynamic Perception MX2)

#1 Nick
Hi all,

I just ordered the LRTimeLapse Pro Timer 3 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a star tracker that will work well with it?

I also have a Dynamic Perception Stage One dolly (original release from 2012) which is controlled with their MX2.

Something compatible with both would be great. I've seen a little about move shoot move but also read it's not the best solution.

Has anyone tried the Skyguider pro?

500 USD or under would be great, I know there are some quite expensive solutions out there.

Thanks!
Nick
#2 Gunther
Hi Nick,
first of all, please let us know, what exactly you are trying to do. Normally Star tracking would be one thing quite independently from other motion control goals. It would be quite unusual to combine star tracking with a slider movement for example, it just wouldn't make much sense because the horizon mostly tilts when star tracking. There are a couple of effects that you can do with that, but if you want to do motion controlled night shots on a slider, I'd recommend to do it without a star tracker.

Also my personal recommendation would be to get rid of that old MX2 controller, which is really outdated and a pita to operate. The Stage One dolly can be equipped with a stepper motor and then you can use the NMX Controller or the Pine Controller which are much easier and better to use with your slider. Both can also be combined with the LRT PRO Timer.

For simple star tracking, you can also use a Vixen Polarie or MSM Controller.
https://www.vixenoptics.com/Vixen-Polari.../35505.htm
https://www.moveshootmove.com/de
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Nick
Thanks for the reply! Honestly I hadn't given much thought beyond wanting compatible devices and wanting to try both motion and star tracking. If they don't work well together that's fine Smile

Thanks for the advice regarding the MX2! Definitely is a pita but it works for the very rare time I get to bring the whole kit out. I'll check out nmx and pine, thank you!

MSM is one I was looking at, the skyguider seemed a bit better. I am in southern hemisphere though so I'm not sure how hard these will be to set up and align (another thing I've been watching videos on!).

Lots to think about, appreciate your help!

...also check out: