• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Total eclipse time lapse:)

#1 carlschreiner
Hello!  This is my first post here.  First of all I would like to thank Gunther for an amazing product!  I discovered it in 2015 and used it extensively for a trip to Glacier National Park.  It a brilliant piece of software!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adMrZ6I0vgg

I did use the holy grail technique for the sunset shot over Lake McDonald and am planning a trip to eastern Oregon this summer.  I will be right in the middle of the total eclipse path in August.  Soooo, I have never shot a total eclipse before and am wondering if its even feasibleSmile  It will be about 10am here when the eclipse occurs.  I'm wondering if and how I would need to use a ND filter.  Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I'm shooting with a Canon 6D, Syrp Genie and Magic Carpet slider.
Carl Schreiner
Roseburg, Oregon, USA
#2 Gunther
If you shoot with a tele lens directly into the sun, you definitely should use a special filter for sun photography. You can build it on your own, just buy some special foil for sun-photoprahy from an astro-shop. Then make your own filter.
I've blogged about this on my German blog, check the photos and/or use google translate to read the text:
(If the photos don't show up, click on them)

https://translate.google.com/translate?h...afieren%2F
and
https://translate.google.com/translate?h...ofi2015%2F
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 carlschreiner
Awesome!  My wife is fluent in German so I'll have her translate.  She has family in the Hartz mountain area.  We were just over there last year!  Thanks!  I'll check it out!
#4 nhagman10
I will be shooting this eclipse also and have some questions for people who may know.

I am interested in doing wider angle landscape shots during the eclipse, hoping to get something like I see in these videos
  1. Arctic eclipse 2015
  2. Australia eclipse 2012
I am uncertain how to go about ramping for such a rapid change from light to dark and back, and I'm not sure just how dark it's actually going to be. The first video makes me think it will be full darkness, but the second definitely isn't. I'll be experiencing 1 minute and 53 seconds of totality where I'm at in central Oregon.

Does anyone have experience with this, or suggestions on setup?
#5 Gunther
Personally I'd use qDslrDashboard to do the ramping, by observing the histogram and probably correcting the reference area you should be able to get a very reliable result. Start with sunset, at the darkest point I'd then turn of auto holy grail, switch to sunrise and turn on Auto Holy Grail again. (don't use the auto-direction feature, it might not be reliable).
If you never worked with qDDB before, make sure to practice with some sunsets and sunrises before.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 nhagman10
(2017-02-22, 11:19)gwegner Wrote: Personally I'd use qDslrDashboard to do the ramping, by observing the histogram and probably correcting the reference area you should be able to get a very reliable result. Start with sunset, at the darkest point I'd then turn of auto holy grail, switch to sunrise and turn on Auto Holy Grail again. (don't use the auto-direction feature, it might not be reliable).
If you never worked with qDDB before, make sure to practice with some sunsets and sunrises before.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

...also check out: