• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Two situations where I cannot get rid of the flicker

#1 Jamesparsons74
I am somewhat new to LRTimelapse, and am getting fair results in most cases. The only two areas I have been unhappy with are both flicker problems: one is in the moonless night sky and the other is during a setting sun, right at sunset, and only right at the location of the sun. In the latter instance, it appears I can see my 1/3rd stop exposure jumps that I did in-camera to compensate for the lowering light levels. In the case of the night sky, I am using a fully manual lens, but get a mild flickering in the sky at times in the sequence. No amount of deflicker, even when I define the area of the worst flickering, will remove it in either case. Sorry if I am not explaining this very well, as it is a little hard to explain.
#2 Jamesparsons74
I think I just helped my sunset flicker issue by using the deflicker tool over and over and over, defining the section of the sequence where I see some flicker. I dramatically improved it anyway.
#3 Gunther
Directly around the sun you will in most cases have blown highlights whose diameter changes as you do the HG-adjustments. This is nothing where deflicker kann totally help - for those cases I try to avoid to adjust while the sun is visible, or just expose rather dark so that the sun does not blow too much.
For the night sky it would be helpful to see an example. Sometimes if the sensor is really at the end of its capabilities, you can get some nasty color flicker with high isos that can be quite impossible to remove. LRTimelapse only deflickers for brightness.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Jamesparsons74
That makes sense, thank you! What is the best way to show you an example of my night sky flicker? I could post on vimeo and post a link in this thread?
#5 Jamesparsons74
https://vimeo.com/166644033

This short video will show you a good example of my mild night sky flicker and the sunset flicker. Using a Canon 6D camera.
#6 Gunther
Hi James,
there are a some things you could improve:
- A lot o fast changes in brightness or contrast - especially the sequence with the cars - this will introduce contrast flicker if you edit too much in Lightroom, we already discussed this here a couple of times.
- On the milky way sequences your sensor is already at the edge
- The movements are quite fast (too fast im my opinion - use shorter intervals)
- The motion of the camera often go in the opposite direction then the natural movements - try to avoid that. If the stars pan to the left, don't pan the camera to the right. The same goes for clouds. If you do it like you did, this will not only make the movement itself faster and more hectic, it will also stress the MP4 encoder eating up a lot of bandwith and producing worse quality.

The sunset shows the blown highlights that we already discussed, but it's not that bad - most people wouldn't even notice it. The other effects in that scene are not flicker, it's due to the clouds partly covering the sun.

I hope with my tips I could help you to improve your skills in time lapse shooting even more, you are on the right track - so keep up the good work!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
Flicker
nikonman05
2016-04-12, 00:31
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: