• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

shift in color cast

#1 natfrey
Hello. I'm wondering if LRTimelapse can correct a strange color cast that occurred in a sequence, shot with a Nikon D850. This has never happened before with this camera. I even shot another sequence just afterwards with the same camera and this weird shift in color cast did not happen. As you can see in the 2 attached screenshots, the color shift persists for awhile, then shifts back to "normal," then shifts back again. If you alternate quickly between the two screenshots, you can see the color cast change, and it appears as well in the Deflicker values. I see this change happening in the original .NEF files, so I don't think it's due to LRTimelapse. Not sure what's going on! Running it through several Deflickering doesn't take it away. I shot RAW with low ISO of 64. with 70-200mm lens.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Thisight be lightroom introducing it. Please see my expert tips tutorial about lightroom possibly messing up sequences on https://LRTimelapse.com/tutorial/expert
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 natfrey
Thank you Gunther, I will certainly watch all those videos as I improve my skills with your awesome software. I verified last night, while making a time lapse of the moon rise during eclipse, that the problem originates in the D850. While periodically checking exposure on the camera, suddenly the background darker sky developed a slight blue cast. There's something very wrong with the sensor or something else in the electronics of the camera. I'll see if I can correct it later in LR. Thanks again.
#4 natfrey
In case this can be of help to others, I discovered the problem was with the white balance. On the D850 the WB was set to Auto, so during the day to night transition, the camera's auto WB shifted wildly, especially when it got pretty dark. At one point the WB temp. shifted from 7500 to 3500 from one frame to the next. That is how the sudden color changes originated, all in camera with WB on auto.

Then, in LRTimeplapse 6, I noticed the default settings have White Balance set to "As shot." After I clicked the checkbox to set it to "Custom," I reset the metadata, started everything over from scratch, and this got rid of the sudden shifts in color casts. I'm a newbie, so I'm discovering this as I go along, was so glad I could "recover" that time lapse!

I'm wondering when it would be advantageous to have White Balance set to "As shot" in LRTimelapse? Just curious.

...also check out: