• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Understanding LRTimelapse Columns, Curves, and Processing Timelapse+ View Sequence

#1 HxPI
There are several issues I need assistance with.

1. I have a 1505 frame sequence captured with Nikon D3 and controlled with Timelapse+ View intervalometer. All images in sequence have a valid XMP file made by the intervalometer. I have already imported the image sequence into Lightroom. I open LRTimelapse and go to the folder where the sequence is saved. After LRTimelapse loads the image data, here is where I have the first item for clarification. It is my understanding that the exposure adjustment made by the Timelapse+ View are listed in the column "Ext Exp Data". There is also a column "HG Exp Data" that is derived from the " . The column "Exposure 2012" has zeros and doesn't do anything in this scenario. Is this explanation correct?

2. After applying keyframes, skipping HG Wizard, saving data, going back into Lightroom for edits to the keyframe images only, this is where I have the second item for clarification. Before saving XMP data in LRTimelapse, the images exposure setting in Lightroom displays what Timelapse+ View created. After saving XMP data in LRTimelapse, the images exposure setting goes to zero. It is my understanding that this is fine and the exposure can subsequently be adjusted and will be processed when reloading into LRTimelapse. I'm curious if the exposure adjustments will also take into account the refinements that were made with the Timelapse+ View. Is this explanation correct?

3. When returning to LRTimelapse, reloading data, performing Auto Transition, and saving, this is where I am confused and need some guidance. The columns associated with the edits made in Lightroom, particularly the White Balance (WB), do not match what is in Lightroom. I made some edits to the WB so they would smoothly transition and present a pleasing shift from day to night and back to day. The WB should have gone from 7500 to 3500 and back to 7500. Instead in the "Color Temp" column there is just listed 7500 for the first frame, 5840 for the remaining 1503 frames, and 7500 for the last frame. When reviewing the Visual Preview, indeed WB is incorrect. It is my understanding that LRTimelapse should reload the keyframes images XMPs, smoothly transition all parameters that were edited (i.e. WB, exposure, contrast, highlights, etc) and display those values in the associated columns for each image. Why hasn't LRTimelapse properly received and displayed my adjustments from Lightroom?

4. Another confusion I have is the curves displayed in the preview window. For example, there is a yellow curve in the middle and a purple curve at the bottom. I assume the purple curve is exposure because it goes down towards night and rises towards day. The yellow curve in the middle shows some modulation when first opening the image sequence. However, after edits in LR and reloading in LRTimelapse, that yellow curve in the middle goes flat! It's my understanding there should be some kind of matching to balance the exposure curve, similar to HG method. Shouldn't there be a curve showing the exposure adjustments. Also, the colors are confusing because I can't match the colors in the preview windows to the colors in the column headings. Do the colors between the preview window and columns correlate?

So the reason this is an issue is because my images continue to flicker and the color temperature cannot be properly set. I will use Lightroom only and output the sequence to see if the Timelapse+ View data is enough to provide smooth video but I was hoping to use LRTimelapse to further refine and make smooth adjustments to the WB. So far I haven't been able to do this. I'm using LRTimelapse version 4.7.6 build 135. The dates in the XMP are correct. I've tried to research these issues on this forum and online elsewhere but have not found the answers I need.

I really like this software and it has been useful in other scenarios. This is the first attempt at using it with a Timelapse+ View sequence and perhaps there is a different workflow needed to get optimum results. I'm really stumped on this one! I hope there is some useful feedback to help with these issues. Thank you.

Ciao,
Mel
#2 HxPI
OK so after reading the "Keyframes, Metadata, Editing from LRTimelapse not visible in Lightroom or vise versa" post it showed me some things I may be doing wrong! So I'll follow what's posted there and report back for better or worse. D'oh!
#3 Gunther
Yes, please check again. Watch my tutorials too for the meaning of the curves. https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial - if you want in depth explanations, I'd recommend my E-Book too: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtimelapse-pro-timer-free/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 HxPI
The tutorials helped clarify some things. I'm using the correct workflow now. However, there is still some small flickering in the brightest portions of the scene. There's more work to be done to get the settings just right! I upgraded my license to Pro to get access to all the features and read the e-book. Thanks for a great product and your support!

Ciao,
Mel

...also check out: