• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unexpected White Balance Behavior

#1 EnglerAerial
LRT 4.7.4
LR 2015.8
Win 10
Canon D50
RAW

I have been experiencing strange issues with WB on the previous version and the most recent.  I have projects with single frames that show a big WB change and appear as flashes/flickers and some projects have unwanted WB ramping between Key Frames.  These changes are not apparent on the original preview and do not happen if I don't edit the WB at all in LR. 

Sometimes there is a sudden shift in the WB that occurs in between Key Frames and continues on from there.  The shift is visibly apparent and LRT shows these changes as a Visual Luminance change but does not show any change in the WB column.  If I run LRT without any WB edits in LR these shifts changes do not occur.

To duplicate the unwanted ramping:

Set project with 4 Key Frames
KF 1 - WB 6000
KF 2 - WB 5000
KF 3 - WB 4000
KF 4 - WB 4000

There will be ramping down between KF 3 & 4 when the WB should stay consistent.  It goes down until halfway between KF's then ramps back up.

I still don't understand the unwanted single WB flashes or sudden shifts. Should LRT ever be expected to change the WB based on other parameters?
#2 Gunther
On those tests: make sure to not change any other tools in Lightroom, then check the table an curves in LRTimelapse after applying the auto transition. The table will show you if there are any other values being altered (by default it shows only the animated columns). Check the curve in the preview too, just select the button "ALL" top right of the preview, to see the WB-Curves too.
LRTimelapse does no "magic" in background, it shows all the values that it changes in the table so you have a good transparency to crosscheck with Lightroom.

I said to make sure to not have any other tools set in Lightroom for those tests, because sometimes extensive use of "intelligent" tools, like Dehaze might lead to a color shift on some images that looks similar to what you are describing, but mostly then it's not just "peaks" - but it could be. Check out these articles too:
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-wha...htroom-acr
http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 EnglerAerial
I didn't get a chance to do any isolation tests but I've got a new project and I wanted to change the Color Temp again.  I set a few keyframes to cool the temp as night falls.  After running the Auto Transition the Color Balance values are showing changes in the Temp where there shouldn't be any. It will drop from 5000 down to 4996 until the half way point on the keyframes and be back at 5000 on the next key frame.  Then it goes up to 5038 and drops back down again.  All this time it should be at 5000.
When it's supposed to drop from 5000 to 4000 it does correctly.  For some reason it is introducing unwanted Temp change curves before the keyframes show any change.
#4 Gunther
LRTimelapse connects keyframes with curves. In some situations, those curves can show what you are experiencing due to the fact that they try to mimic a smooth transition between all the points.
Check out the curves in the preview (select the appropriate parameter in the drop down).
Those effects will normally not be visible in the end results.
If you need very special transitions, you can apply them via the manual transition freature on the tools workflow tab. You can then select the White balance curves only (right click on the table header, select this column only) and select only a subsequence and apply linear or eased transitions.
But like I said, what you experienced is normal and happens due to the curves. Normally you wouldn't see this effect and can just ignore it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: