• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Problematic spots in time-lapse exposures – is there a solution in LRTimelapse?

#1 DreamInColor
Invariably—especially when shooting long sequences with a wide angle lens—there's a pretty good chance a bird (or bug) is going to fly into a few shots. Normally these are a fairly easy fix in ACR (what I use to edit RAW images) or in Lightroom during the RAW editing step in the LRTimelapse workflow. However, when the bird or bug flies close to the lens, removing the "blemish" can be much more difficult if not impossible. The spot is larger and tends to blur more, creating a more problematic spot removal challenge. My efforts in using the Lightroom Spot Removal tool (heal or clone) results in a "patch" that is very evident when playing back the time-lapse sequence. To me it looks just as undesirable as the original blemish itself. And since I can't do this work in Photoshop and then save the corrected image back as RAW file, I'm wondering if there's a way to address this issue in LRTimelapse.

Attached are screen grabs of subsequent exposures from a recent time-lapse (sunrise) that show an example of a large spot caused by a bird that flew close to the lens. The first image does not have the bird blemish, the second one does.

Is it possible to drop an exposure in LRTimelapse without it being obvious in the final movie? Can LRTimelapse "blend" over the dropped exposure? A long shot... but I thought I'd ask.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying the software. My time-lapses have improved dramatically from using LRTimelapse.

Thanks for your time.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

...also check out: