• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unexplained Luminance Spikes on Keyframes (not where camera values change)

#11 Colin
I just bought the newest version of LRT and I'm also having this issue now. I'm using LRT 5.2 with the latest DNG converter on OSX High Sierra. I'm using Adobe Bridge and Camera raw for my edits and so have to copy and paste develop settings. I haven't deleted any graduated filters but am using one of them. Is this due to copying and pasting settings in Bridge and is there any way around this for me?
#12 Colin
I would just add that Gunther has tried to convince me of the advantages of working in LR previously but as a photographer who works regularly in LR for other stuff, having separate catalogs and LR preferences is far from ideal. For example settings like "automatically write changes to xmp" and also "keep presets with this catalogue" must be disabled when using
LRT and those are important preference settings for my other work. Creating separate catalogues for my timelapse work and constantly changing preference settings back and forth depending on what I'm working on is too much of a hassle.
#13 Gunther
If you use ACR/Bridge and use Copy/Paste, you will overwrite the LRTimelapse adjustemts for holy grail and deflicker - that's why you get the spikes. And that's why I recommend using Lightroom and the sync script.
I don't recommend using separate catalogs. You can use the same catalog as for your images. After finishing the timelapse processing, you can even remove the timelapse sequences from LR (due to the XMP files you can readd them at any time).
Then there is only the "automatically write changes to XMP" setting. I recommend to leave it off all the time, it's a performance killer in Lightroom. From Library, you can make LR write XMP at any time just by selecting the images and hitting CTRL-S (Mac: CMD-S).
Anyone that uses LRT works that way. If you have a Lightroom license, I see no reason not to use it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#14 Colin
Thanks for your response, Gunther. I still don't like the idea of importing tens of thousands of photos a year into my LR catalogue and then deleting them back out. Just seems like it would clog up the database. And automatically writing XMP metadata has saved me a lot of time when LR has crashed in the past. But mostly I'm confused because copying and pasting using ACR/Bridge never overwrote holy grail keyframes in the past. I've processed hundreds of holy grail timelapses that way. Is something different now?
#15 Gunther
The Lightroom Catalog is quite robust, and you can compress the database at any time to reorg it.
I work like this since years and I have ca. 200,000 stills in my catalog and keep adding and removing timelapse sequences. No probs at all.
I'll have a look if and if so why the HG adjustments are not being restored anymore in LR after coming from ACR.
#16 Colin
Thanks a lot, Gunther. I really appreciate all of your help.
#17 Gunther
I've just released version 5.2.1 where I've added a recovery of the HG-Wizard and Deflicker values on reload, should the have incidentally be overwritten when editing the keyframes (as it happens when working with copy/paste in Bridge/ACR instead of the LRT Sync script in Lightroom).
Please note that this recovery will only happen, if the sequence was load in LRTimelapse before, you edit then and then do reload. If you close LRT inbetween, it won't work. But then you still have the option to just reapply the holy grail wizard, do correct the orange curve. Let me know, if this works for you.
#18 Colin
That does seem to work now. Thanks a lot for that. I also decided to take your advice and give LR another try. I think I could get used to working this way. I started by importing a batch of photos that I'd already edited with ACR and LRT however and even after initializing metadata, I couldn't get rid of the existing edits and previews. I had to delete them from LR, initialize metadata in LRT and then re-import them to get things to work. Is this normal behavior? Also, I never got the filter items that you show in the tutorial to filter by LRT keyframes. They don't seem necessary but it seemed weird that those LRT filters didn't seem to install and weren't available in LR.

I'm also just curious about exporting using LRT, which I've never used. I'd like to take advantage of your Motion Blur Plus effect as well as batch exporting and the linking between renders and the image folders but despite those cool features, the LRT export doesn't seem useful to me if you have access to After Effects. I can't animate the way the 16:9 crop is applied to the images or apply speed changes and LRT creates a bunch of extra intermediate jpegs or tiffs in the process. I'm just wondering if this export options is mostly for people who don't have AE or if you think there are advantages to using it over AE in some cases.

I'm loving the new version of LRT and am grateful for yet another amazing support experience. Thanks Gunther!
#19 MMeier
For the missing filters this tread might help:

http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-lrt4...-installed

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
#20 Gunther
Quote:however and even after initializing metadata, I couldn't get rid of the existing edits and previews. I had to delete them from LR, initialize metadata in LRT and then re-import them to get things to work. [quote]
That's one option, the othe would have been to do "Metadata / Initialize" in LRT, then save. And in Lightroom select the whole sequence and do "Metadata -> Read Metadata from files".

Regarding the missing addons, see MMEiers link.

Quote:I'm also just curious about exporting using LRT, which I've never used. I'd like to take advantage of your Motion Blur Plus effect as well as batch exporting and the linking between renders and the image folders but despite those cool features, the LRT export doesn't seem useful to me if you have access to After Effects.
I also have After Effects, but I mostly never use it for timelapse (only if I have to stamp - an even then I use the LRTExport first and do the stamping on the exported intermediary sequence (that's the "bunch of extra files" you are referring too - the are very useful, because they save so much time for example when you need to render you video in different resolutions or with differen motion blur settings.)

The biggest advantage of using the LRTimelapse workflow (without AE) is performance. AE is slow as hell for rendering RAW+JPG to video. Working on a RAW+JPG sequence in AE is a PITA.
The much better way imo is to use the LRTExport, which is streamlined for timelapse work, and create an intermediary JPG or TIFF sequence. This one you can use for multiple renderings from LRT (no neet to export again) or even for further editing in AE. It's much faster that way.

And by the way: you can do easy crop animations with LRT/LR also: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-kern-burns-effect
However, I never do this on my master video clips. I prefer to export the master clips (which LRT renders) in full size, and do any animations later in Premiere Pro when I cut a video. Only then I know, if or how exactly a ken burns animation should look like.

...also check out: