• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

USB-C Release Cable

#1 Allen77photo
Ok... so with those newer cameras that have only a USB-C port for all it's connectivity, can I get an after market release cable terminated with USB-C to work with the Pro Timer 3 and "camera"?
#2 Gunther
I'm afraid that won't be possible.
I don't know of any camera that offers an USB C port only, implementing the required "analog" release port via USBC.

But even today, most advanced and pro cameras still offer the dedicated release port additionally to USB C.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Allen77photo
I was looking at the Sony A7RC and it only has an USB-C port (no USB-micro) and I don't know of any intervalometers/motorized systems that use a USB-C to communicate with the camera. Long story short, I had to settle with the heavier body version A7RV. I was hoping to be able to use my ProTimer3 with that A7RC Sad
#4 Gunther
That's the camera manufacturers to blame, if they don't implement the release port on the consumer models. :-(
#5 Allen77photo
I agree, however to be fair.... I would think all manufactures need to adapt/progress products to tech trends which in the case of hardwired device communications would be USB-C. If Apple can do it, anyone can Tongue. Thanks for the quick responses, keep up the good work!
#6 Gunther
If the camera manufacturers implement usb c only for data transfer (images) and charging, there is no way to trigger the camera via that interface.
As far as I know, USB C is just not designed for camera control. The camera brands want to sell Bluetooth remotes which suck for Timelapse photography. And here again, there is no standard. Everyone wants to sell their own stuff (like apple).
That's the beauty with the good old analog release ports. It's 3 contacts only, and you only need a different cable for each brand and will work.

...also check out: