• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 Red sock 01
Hi,

From what I understand, the program works off the metadata. 

I’m in the conundrum of shooting day to night in the city, If I use nds to have a slower shutter (fluid cloud and traffic movements), I get ugly lens reflections at night. If I remove the nds, the day stuff looks staccato. If i stop down, I get ugly street light flaring. If I roll my aperture I get flicker. 

I can’t use a nd filter, roll my iso, remove nd when it’s getting dark, compensate the iso stop difference from removing the nd, and in lrtimelapse correct at all can I? As the metadata isn’t indicating a change, or it should a backward change?

I hope I’ve explained that well. 

Thx

G
#2 Gunther
I'd not recommend removing a ND filter while shooting. Apart from the difference in the look you'd get (color cast etc.) you'd have to change the exposure at the same time while removing the filter, because otherwise you'd get overexposed images after removal. Removing the filter will most likely take some time, shake your camera etc.

I often use a 64x ND filter for Day-to-Night in a city environment. It will allow me to get blurred images at daytime (I do 3-way ramping, including aperture) and in a city environment, I don't have to bring the ISO up too much, even with the filter on, since at some time the Lights of the city will start getting too bright, that's where I stop ramping.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Red sock 01
Thanks,

When you say you change your aperture, you don't de-click your lens to minimise flicker?

Also, doesn't adding an ND give your lens more reflections with those pesky lights that come on from somewhere you don't expect?

Cheers,

G
#4 Red sock 01
How or where can I add instructions to be notified by email of a reply to my post? Thx
#5 Gunther
If you use a good ND filter (I recommend the Haida Nano Pro MC filters, they are outstanding: https://amzn.to/2JQa5Q4 ) you won't get any unwanted effects.

And no, I don't declick or manipulate my lenses - I don't care about Aperture Flicker anymore since LRT4 introduced the visual deflicker :-)

Subscribing to threads or forums is possible with the subscribe link at the very top of each thread.
#6 Red sock 01
Yes, I'm not very observant. :-(

Can you recommend a wide lens too, my canon 16-35mm just loves giving me all types of lens flaring from any light source shooting at night.

That ND you recommended, do you have a matte box for it that keeps street lights off it too?

Thanks.
#7 Gunther
I don't use a matte box, never had problems. As wide angel primes I love the Sigma art 20 f/1.4 and Sigma Art 14 f/1.8.

...also check out: