• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Using multiple CPU cores

#1 lightatwork
Hi Gunther,

When I monitor my CPU usage, for example during initialization and preview generation, it seems as if LRTimelapse only uses one (of my 12) CPU cores. Can you confirm that LRTimelapse was written for only using one CPU core, or do you think other things cause a bottleneck for not using all the CPU-power in my Mac Pro? I am running 32Gb of ram (I allocated 8Gb to LRTimelapse) and the raw image files are on a PCIe SSD which is capable of read/writes of +/- 600MB/s so that would normally not be a bottleneck.

If all of the above is true, have you considered/investigated adapting LRTimelapse to use multiple processors? With the current trend of computers having far more than one CPU core and image files getting bigger and bigger, this would by far be the greatest improvement/feature of LRTimelapse for any (semi-)professional user, since it would save enormous amounts of time, and as you know…. time is money…

Thanks for your insight in this and keep up the good work!

Regards, Jorrit
#2 Gunther
Hi Jorrit,
LRTimelapse should use multiple processors, there might be other bottlenecks involved, like Exiftool etc...
Normally, if you use the LRTimelapse importer, you shouldn't have to wait for initialization and preview generation, since this will be done when importing. There is a batch initialization/preview generation feature in the Pro version as well.
The bottleneck in performance is mostly Lightroom, but this might change with LR6.
Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
24 cores
luke4786
2017-02-26, 18:04
Last Post: Gunther

...also check out: