• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question on 3 way exposure ramping

#1 bethpapa
hi everyone,
I am stuck at a junction now ...
i have no problem shooting a time lapse smoothly from day til evening but when i am trying to extend my shooting to be able to capture the milky way movement, problem came.

I think i am a little confused about getting the correct way to shoot a proper time-lapse.

From Day to evening, i am constantly changing my shutter speed and ISO while keeping my aperture constant. But when i compile my images, i found that some part of the movement will be jerky because my interval is set also constant at 5sec. This is ok in the beginning when my shutter speed is probably 1/100-1" .... but when my shutter speed gets longer, it actually affects the actual interval between shots.

Say interval of 5sec with shutter speed of 1sec ... i think the actual interval will automatically becomes 4 secs, is this correct?
and when interval is still 5sec with a new shutter speed of 3sec ... the actual interval became 2sec ...

Do i need to change the timelapse interval in parallel to the increase in shutter speed? (from day to night)

I hope i explained it well....
Adrian
#2 Gunther
Hi, the interval is always the time from one opening of the shutter to the next opening. Inside the interval you have the exposure time and a dark-time.
The interval normally is fixed, the exposure time cannot be longer then Interval minus Minimum Dark-Time.
So either you start with a long interval right away, to be able to have long exposures at the end for the milkyway - but this will of course lead to a very fast running sunset.
Or you could us a very fast lens, and shoot all the time until the milky way with say 10 Secs - this might work too with a good sensor.
Another option would be to ramp the interval after sunset, there are not many intervalometers that allow for this, your best option would certainly be the LRT Pro Timer Free that has been designed exactly to do this: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtimelapse-pro-timer-free/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rodrigo
Hi Adrian / Gunther,
If I'm not mistaken, the Pulse controller allows you to change settings whilst shooting. The only problem is the life span of the battery is short, it won't allow you to shoot for that period of time, from morning til sun set and through the night till morning, I think maximum shooting time for Pulse is 7 hours.
The Case controller +, has a longer life span on the battery but it takes control of the camera and you can't change settings. But, the time that it takes to stop the sequence to make the changes, I dont think it would make a big difference to the finish product.
Both controllers are controlled via their own Apps software.
Kind regards,

Rodrigo
#4 bethpapa
(2017-08-02, 11:19)gwegner Wrote: Hi, the interval is always the time from one opening of the shutter to the next opening. Inside the interval you have the exposure time and a dark-time.
The interval normally is fixed, the exposure time cannot be longer then Interval minus Minimum Dark-Time.
So either you start with a long interval right away, to be able to have long exposures at the end for the milkyway - but this will of course lead to a very fast running sunset.
Or you could us a very fast lens, and shoot all the time until the milky way with say 10 Secs - this might work too with a good sensor.
Another option would be to ramp the interval after sunset, there are not many intervalometers that allow for this, your best option would certainly be the LRT Pro Timer Free that has been designed exactly to do this: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtimelapse-pro-timer-free/

[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]hi gwegner,[/font]
[font=Open Sans, Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Is the "Dark Time" same as the AF signal delay?
[/font]
[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I am using PULSE (from Alpine lab) as my main wireless control for (interval, ISO, Shutter speed, F-stop), will that be an issue on this AF signal delay? [/font]
[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The dongle is connected to my d810 via USB cable.[/font]

[font='Open Sans', Myriad, Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://alpinelaboratories.com/pages/pulse[/font]
#5 Gunther
The Pulse is not the fastest device. For time lapse we would not want any AF signal at all. I'd recommend to use an external intervalometer via cable for timelapse work. You can speed it up via this method: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: