• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transition from LRT 4 to LRT 6

#1 Zoeperkoe
I just upgraded from LRT 4 to LRT 6. I am still on Lightroom 6, and if it's possible I want to keep it that way since the latest Lightroom is subscription based.

On start-up in LRT 6, I went to settings and set mask version to 1.0.

In loading on some older sequences I noticed some unexpected and for me rather unconvenient behaviour.

1. If I load a holy grail sequence that I fully edited in LR 6 / LRT 4 into LRT 6, I notice that it doesn's recognise the holy grail keyframes (those with **/*** stars in LRT 4). It does recognise the **** keyframes. See screenshot.

2. If I load a sequence that I edited in LRT 4 (set keyframes, edit holy grail), but where I did not yet do any work on the keyframes in LR 6, I get a forced pop-up saying "This sequence was edited with Lightroom Classic >= 11 We assume that you are now using the latest version of Lightroom Classic. [...]" It then switches the mask version back to 2.0 and starts to reload the sequence.

Both mean that, in effect, there is no way to effectively work with LRT 6 and LR 6, and that it more or less forces you to upgrade LR as well. Is this correct?
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Normally, you should be able to work with LR6, if you set the mask version to 1.0 as you did.
If LRT reads a sequence with XMPs that has "Masks (2.0)" set, it assumes that you have a younger Lightroom and switches as you are experiencing. This might have happened, if you loaded your old sequences into LRT with Masks 2.0 set, then LRT would have converted them. Once they are converted to Masks 2, there is no way back.

If you really want to stay with LR6, I can only recommend to try to identify those sequences and delete the XMP files. Then set the Mask Version back to 1 and do a fresh edit.

All in all, I can not recommend working with that outdated Lightroom versions. Especially for Timelapse editing It's so much slower and has way less capabilities than the current Lightroom Classic. I think here you are saving on the wrong spot. You can try to get a cheap subscription for the Photography Plan, every couple of months there is a amazon prime offer, where you can get it for way less than 10$ a months. It's really worth it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: