• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Video "dragging" on some clips but not others

#1 Stan Cunningham
I did a search but could not find this problem,hope it's an easy fix.

I hope there is a simple explanation for this or I bought a very expensive desktop mistake.
About 30 - 40% of the time lapses I'm creating with the LR 4 Pro version, 4K resolution, are dragging or stop when I play them.
When that happened on my laptop I thought it was due to my back up hard drive as my hard drive is only 250 GB, solid state but small.

I just recently purchased a Mac 27 inch late 2015 with OS X El Capitan 10.11.5 desktop
I have a 3.3 ghz processor Intel Core I5 (quad)
I have 16 gb of ram and upgraded graphics card -- AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

I purchased this online with their "experts" specifically for video and these were there suggestions.

Do you have any suggestions???? Why do some clips work perfectly, I can even speed through them at 30X in Quicktime but not some that I really want to keep 4K.

Hope you guys can help
Stan
#2 Gunther
Some players have problems if the mp4 files are beyond the specifications. With LRTimelapse if you do 4K in 3:2 this can happen. Normally you get a warning about this in the render dialog. Other players can play those files fine. On windows for example the MPC Player is a great option. On Mac you could try VLC. Most players are better if the aspect ratio is 16:9 and 4k UHD this is what normally is used. Play around with the settings in the LRTimelapse Render dialog. Lower the quality setting a bit too - the highest offered normally is not necessary. Unfortunately you didn't tell, which settings you used therefore I can only guess.

But anyway: all of those files that LRTimelapse genereate are good - it's only the players. You will notice this if you bring them into a video processing program. They will work flawlessly and after you export the final video (usually in a much lower bit rate for the "consumer players") everything will play smoothly.

You should understand the export from LRTimelapse as very high quality master files for further processing, not necessarily for direct playback.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Stan Cunningham
Gunther, thanks for your immediate response as always, very appreciated from a loyal customer.
Problem has nothing to do with LRTimeplapse but my new Imac.
I reduced the size of the output to 3840 from the max and my Mac laptop plays them just fine.
On my new Imac I can't get the videos to either play or I can't scroll through them in Premiere. And Premiere is very slow to open.
Makes no sense to me as the processor in the imac is almost twice what the laptop is but it just can't seem to handle it.
Waiting on the phone with customer service now. I know many pros use Mac and this is the custom machine Apple suggested so I"m hoping it's something simple they can help me with. If not I'm sending it back.
Would ask for more help but this isn't the proper site for that.
Thanks again.
#4 Stan Cunningham
By the way, I can't believe how well the new deflicker feature works!!! I'm a biologist trying to show different vegetation types in a more appealing way for my students and the public on a website I"m developing. I just don't have the time to only shoot during the "golden hours' and am forced to use aperture priority during times a ND filter won't slow it down enough. Yourself or other pros may not be happy with the results but I am, and I don't think many would notice any flicker. GREAT job!
#5 Gunther
Thanks for the feedback - and btw: I'm more than happy too with the results of the new deflicker. :-)

I hope, you can get the problems with your computer sorted out!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 Stan Cunningham
Just FYI, Apple techs spent 2 hours trying to get the new Imac with a fusion drive, 3.5 Ghz processor, and 16 gb ram to run 4 K in Premiere and finally admitted the machine could not do it. They are recommending an upgrade to an SSD (their flash drive) and 4.0 processor. My Macbook with a 2.2 processor but a SSD can handle it. Beware the fusion drive.

...also check out: