• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is DNG files from SIGMA fp Camera considered RAW?

#1 MaxGibson
Hi, Hello all,
I have been assembling my " quick preview and proofing " timelapses in Davinci Resolve. I had done this with popular DSLR camera RAW files ( Canon, Nikon and Sony ) with acceptable colour corrections ( this is not colour grading ) to achieve a good starting point for the rest of " LOOK " creation in the workflow. Then I bought a SIGMA fp considering many of its features. And Houston we have a problem! For some reason all my efforts for finding a proper pipeline to normalize and colour correct the SIGMA fp DNG clips ( Cinema DNG ) for my sequence previews fails in Davinci Resolve. SIGMA's website is not helpful on the subject and the comments on Blackmagic Design forum are vague at best or wrong at worst.
BTW, my long route complete workflow through LRTimelapse ( through Adobe Lightroom ) is great as I can rapidly colour correct in lightroom. Unfortunately that workflow is too time consuming for proofing and preview.

How do you setup your " colour Management " and RAW processing for your SIGMA fp inside the Davinci Resolve?
#2 Gunther
While resolve is an amazing video editor, it's raw converter plainly sucks. You cannot compare it with Adobe's Camera Raw. Most likely it doesn't support the special Sigma files at all.
I can only recommend using the LRTimelapse workflow, usually it's not much slower than other solutions and you will spare yourself from starting over later.

Check out my tutorial about how to speed up editing multiple clips on the advanced tutorials page.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 MaxGibson
Thank you Gunther for your quick reply. I agree. The amount of time I have wasted chasing a solution in DaVinci Resolve is not justifiable anymore. As you mentioned, the time needed to create proof previews within LRTimelapse is not a waste if the final output is merely fine tuning an existing proofed LRTimelapse project.

...also check out: