• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Visual Preview from LRtimelapse and Lightroom look very different

#1 identitaet
Hello, 

I am noticing for quite a while that the Visual Preview generated by LRTimelapse 5 and Lightroom look different. LRTimelapse Preview looks way stronger. You can see it on the screenshot attached. 

I do not think this has to do with LRTimelapse 5, because I have the feeling I experienced this before. 

Any idea why and what I could do to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/pLQmlYt.jpg]
#2 Gunther
In order to offer the maximum performance, LRTimelapse does not color manage the previews. Those previews are not meant to be used for color proof, you have Lightroom for this. Just know, that the previews in LRT are not colorfast.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 identitaet
Thanks for your fast reply, Gunther! Problem solved! I just wanted to check if it's a problem with my configuaration.

But I would like to mention another problem that this issues introduces: I sometimes expercience Previews that are (very) different from Lightroom, also in brightness --> but only a few frames, and not consistent. When I run the Deflicker, it sometimes introduces flicker because these frames look different than in Lightroom.

Unfortunately I do not have a proper example but I will collect one in the future. Did you ever encounter this problem, too?
#4 Gunther
In rare cases it can happen, that the previews get out of sync - the whole mechanism of developing those previews in high speed is stable, but sometime can fail as well, as there are many steps involved.
If you suspect that a visual preview might be wrong, just select a couple of frames around it (minimum 2) and hit Shift-S - this will force save metadata for those frames, forcing the previews to be renewed.
#5 identitaet
Hey Gunther, 

it took me a while, but I stumbled across a nice example where the Deflickr creates a flickering where no flickering was in the first place. I understand that this is / could be because the previews are not color managed but I wanted to make sure to share this with you. 

in my screenshots you see two images from Lightroom - the look the same in the sky. (I have to admit that it's not perfectly visible in the screenshot because of the low quality) And in Lrtimelapse, the colours in the sky are different and create a different bright values. When using deflicker, the deflicker tries to level this out and creates a flickering. 

But this is not a bug, just special how these previews are created, right?

Greetings, 
Mathias
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#6 Gunther
This shouldn't have anything to do with color management. Since none of the previews in LRT are color managed, they should look same.
Are you sure that you are using the latest DNG converter?
You might send me those two images in a zip file via https://fromsmash.com then I'll have a look.
#7 identitaet
Great idea, thanks for offering. I checked and i am using the latest DNG converter! I added a few examples together with one even more extreme!

http://fromsmash.com/076042fe-4e90-11e8-...39043893bc

Thanks you!
#8 Gunther
Hmm, on your "strong example" you didn't send the xmp file for the second image and if I copy the settings from the first to the second they look same in Lightroom. The other examples look quite same also to me.
In my case why I found is that in the LRTimelapse table, the images have different tone curves applied - please check that in your original sequence (might also be because of the missing XMP data). If you find different tone curves in the table, this would explain the problems. Make sure to right click on the header of the tonecurve column and "Fill down". Then save and let the Visual previews regenerate.
If you find that this is not the problem, please send me the missing xmp file.
#9 identitaet
Hey, sorry for my late reply, butI was traveling. Unfortunately I do not have the XMP files anymore but I added another example together with more screenshots.

While everything looks fine in Lightroom, in LrTimelapse there is a noticable bumb in the pink line: http://fromsmash.com/1cf562ae-56cd-11e8-...39043893bc

Would be great if you could take another look!
#10 Gunther
Now, I'm travelling. Will have a look, when I'm back home. But again: check the table, if you see any differences in the values of the two images where you have the jump. This will most likely lead you to the problem.

...also check out: