• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Visual preview looks great but final video rendering flickers badly

#1 pierre
Hi,

After looking for hours about this issue it seems like it is not really common... Sorry if I missed a thread already dealing with this.

The problem I encounter is pretty much described in the title.

I shot the Milky Way this summer and making a timelapse of it (which I've done many times). All the edit goes well, and some deflickering is needed. The visual preview looks great and smooth, but the final video flickers badly (beyond what a greater video resolution would reveal).

I made sure that all metadata were correctly exported to Lr, and “#LRT internal use (deflicker)” mask is indeed adjusted picture to picture. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled LRtimelapse and DNG converter. I’ve also redone the edit from scratch many times.

Hopefully, it’s a common mistake from my end with an easy fix!

I can provide the visual preview and final video if needed.

Thank you for time.

Best regards,

Pierre
#2 Gunther
How did you export? Did you use the LRTExport Plugin in Lightroom or the internal export from LRTimelapse?
Please provide a dropbox link to the video and screenshots from the camera previews (Visual previews off) and visual preview curves. You can attach the screenshot here via "Post options". Or, better, you can put everything (including the log from info menu after rendering) into a zip file and send it to support@lrtimelapse.com via https://fromsmash.com/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 pierre
Hi Gunther,

Thank you for your quick response!

I did the export two different ways: internal export from LrTimelapse and "manually" by exporting directly from Lr and assembling the photos into a video in Ps. It ended up giving the same result.

I'm about to send you both videos, log file, and the preview screenshot to your support email address.

Let me know if you need anything else.
#4 Gunther
Thanks for sending over the files. I think that you used editing tools in Lightroom that introduced contrast flicker. I've explained this in the expert tips tutorial #5: https://lrtimelapse.com/tutorial/expert/
Please reedit your sequence (there is also an expert tips tutorial on that page which explains how to reedit) and follow the advice that I gave in #5.
#5 pierre
Hi Gunther,

I remember watching this tutorial months ago but I didn't connect the dots... What it is still a bit obscur to me is why the visual preview did not show this contrast flickering early on, and had to wait the full export to notice it.

Anyway, I reedited the sequence by making sure to switch profile and avoid using non-linear operators and it worked!

Thank you for the support and everything you've done for the timelapse community!
#6 Gunther
Glad it worked. I guess, in the low resolution visual previews it was just not as obvious.
#7 bemytravelmuse
I'm having the same issue. I've never had a problem with time lapses before and love this program, but my most recent timelapse is flickering badly. I tried everything you mentioned in the video - getting rid of each thing individually (highlights, clarity, etc.) and the flicker is still there, but it's not present in the raw photos. Any idea what's going so wrong?
#8 Gunther
Did you try changing the Develop Profile to Camera Standard instead of the Adobe Profile?
Please try - start a clean edit via Metadata/Initialize in LRTimelapse.

If the problem persists, please provide more information; screenshots of the preview with visual previews on and off, also a link to the original and edited preview videos and the log file after the workflow.

...also check out: