• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Night Sky Puzzling Flickr and then the flicker dims when Milky Way emerges

#1 americancrew
I am experiencing a puzzling flicker at the cross path between the dark sky and the lighted 'haze' from the town below. But when the Milky Way starts to emerge, the flicker dims and when the Milky Way is fully in frame, the flicker disappears. I have tried to follow Gunther's expert tips by setting the camera profile to camera neutral, no highlights, no shadows, no whites, no blacks, no clarity, no dehaze. I didn't add any graduated filter or radial filters. I adjusted the exposure and the tone curve, added sharpening and noise reduction in the detail panel. You may check out my attached screenshots of my LR panels. First pic shows a frame from early in the timelapse. Second pic shows a frame from middle of the timelapse. Third pic shows I drew a box in the night sky of the visual preview panel. I have even used 4x multi pass deflicker.

My processed timelapse can be viewed at this youtube link: https://youtu.be/lAk4u_mS4_s

Any help or suggestions are warmly welcome. Thank you!
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Obviously those images are way underexposed, I assume shot with a rather slow lens.
If you have to push exposure to +2.3 and still get such dark results, you are really operating at the edge of what your sensor can do.
Then you put the reference area to a very dark area, which might have invisible flicker, that could amplify the flicker in other areas. Better put the reference area to the brighter part below, where the flicker is actually visible.

In any case I'd recommend to use a faster lens if possible, that would give you much better results and easier editing.

But even with that marginal flicker, normally I'd not bother too much and just render the video with some Motion Blur which would most likely gets rid of it.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 americancrew
Thank you so much for your insight, Gunther!! I'll try your suggestions, with especially the motion blur!!

...also check out: