• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Visual Previews resetting when clicking on a folder

#1 Patrick Bennett
I'm trying to batch process the visual previews, it does this but when I click on a particular folder to deflicker it seems to throw out the visual previews and I have to render those out again before I can run deflicker.

Mac 10.14.4 LRT 5.2
Thanks for any clues,
Patrick
#2 Gunther
The previews will only be discarded, if the xmps have been changed (externally).
Please make sure to not have enabled "automatically write changes to xmp" in the Lightroom catalog settings. See: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-ligh...s-into-xmp
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Patrick Bennett
The "Write Meta.." box is NOT checked in LR so this doesn't seem to be the issue. I just tried it again and again lost all those previews in another folder.
#4 Gunther
Could you please describe your scenario a bit more precise.
Normally you would start editing a sequence in LRT, do the first workflow row, then go to Lightroom, edit keyframes.
Back in LRT you would do reload, auto transition and visual previews. After they have been generated you click on visual deflicker and of course the previews will be redone. That's normal (because the deflicker has to be added). But, if you only want to do a single pass of deflicker, at this point, you can turn off the visual preview generation (by clicking again on the button) and go back to Lightroom. All deflicker settings will already be saved in the metadata. That means, if you doe "Read Metadata from Files" now in Lightroom for the whole sequence, you will also have the deflicker applied and can use the exporter. This prevents you from having the visual previews created twice.

On a fast computer with several cores however, Visual Preview generation is so fast, that you can also wait until it's finished for the second time to see, if you need to refine deflicker once more.
#5 Patrick Bennett
Here is my scenario:

5 timelapses in their own folders with a parent folder. In LRT I select the parent folder and right click “Batch Initialization”. Then select each folder to do keyframes, holy grail (if needed) and save. In LR I read meta from files, edit keyframes and save meta to files.

This is where the problem shows up: I select the parent folder and right click to “Generate Visual Previews” and let it run until the red visual previews lights up in each folder. I don’t have the option to select Deflicker at this point, when I want to run Deflicker later that is where the visual previews seem to vanish and I have to run them again to be able to even choose deflicker. The issues seems to be when trying to batch them. Does that define the issue better for you?

Thanks, Patrick
#6 Gunther
Hi Patrick,
I've just tested this and after batch generating the visual previews for a parent folder, in my scenario both folder load fine with the visual previews generated. Of course, as I explained in my last post, if I click do "Visual Deflicker" then after loading one of them and hit "apply" the visual previews get redone with the deflicker applied.

Another option would be to choose multi pass deflicker as batch operation via the context menu (instead of doing the visual previews alone), but currently you need to do this for every subfolder, it doesn't work on the parent folder yet (I will add this feature in 5.2.2).
#7 Patrick Bennett
I may have been trying to batch the deflicker. I've just done the right click on the individual folders and it seems to be working as it is supposed to. Though I didn't simply select the folder first, I hovered the mouse over the folder and right clicked to get to the deflicker command.

Is there a suggested limit on how many folders/files you should batch? I've brought it down to 5 folders and fewer than 2,000 individual image files and it freezes from a memory issue when it's about 90% done.

MacBook Pro, late 2016 16GB RAM, 2TB Internal SSD (though my files/folders are on an external 2TB HDD via USB 3)

Thanks, you've created a pretty awesome little application here!
#8 Gunther
The batch tasks will be processed one after the other. For your computer you should increase the memory provided to LRTimelapse, it's explained in this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-mac...rtimelapse
This should solve the problem.

...also check out: