• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What devices (tablets etc.) are you using for QDDB?

#1 Novelectro
I do a lot of backpacking and traveling and so I can't always take my laptop.  I saw Gunther was using a tablet on one of the tutorials but I assume that might have been a couple of years ago. 

I'm looking for either a phone or tablet that will

1. Be able to use QDDB
2. If possible - be able to accept a micro or regular SD card and in the UI be able to transfer the content on the SD card to an external hard drive.  

I just don't know if 2 is possible.  This would make my timelapse gear footprint super small when traveling or backpacking.
#2 Gunther
You won't be storing any images on the tablet when working with qDDB's Timelapse screen.
I still work with my Nexus 7 2013 or with my Huawei phone. But any other Android or iOS device should work.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Novelectro
(2017-04-08, 17:26)gwegner Wrote: You won't be storing any images on the tablet when working with qDDB's Timelapse screen.
I still work with my Nexus 7 2013 or with my Huawei phone. But any other Android or iOS device should work.

Yes understood.  What I mean is I'd ideally also like to find a tablet where I could transfer content from an SD card to an external HD without using a computer.  This way when I go on a back packing trip i only need a table and a small external hd.

Know if anything like that exists?

The only other option that would be less weight would be to buy a whole bunch of SD cards, but that's pricey.
#4 Gunther
You'd need a tablet that supports USB OTG and then you'd need a special usb hub with a card reader. There are a couple of those devices on amazon, but from my experience nobody can tell you if they work or not and which tablets they support. Apart from this copying via that kind of USB connection will be painfully slow. I experimented a bit with this sometime, but finally I gave up after having tried 3 different adapters.
You might rather go for a dedicated image tank that supports direct copying from SD card, there are a couple of solutions on the market. But they are rather expensive.
I for myself always take a small laptop with me (currently Samsung Ativ Tab 9).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 Novelectro
Yea it is interesting to me that this isn't more of an obvious find for people that create content in the bush or are backpacking/camping, etc.

You mentioned a card reader, but what about just using the micro sd card that's already there?
#6 Aldercove
I know this topic is a couple of months old, but you might look into the Gnarbox.
#7 MisterR
Hi!) You can use some of Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet. It has USB and a socket for sdcard. Just that the camera in older models is not so good.
devices
krzyspee
2016-02-02, 04:25
Last Post: TheModScene

...also check out: