• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What exactly are keyframes?

#1 tipper
I have a broad question to ask:

What exactly are keyframes? And more specifically what impact do they have on the timelapse sequence?

Now, before you say "isn't it obvious?!", my understanding is that setting keyframes is a time saving device which allows you to adjust exposure of only a small number of frames across the whole sequence. Once these have been established and adjusted, the LRT goes to work and automatically adjusts the other non-keyframes so that the full sequence is smooth.

At least that's what I understand.

However...

I'm looking for a deeper understanding of how keyframes operate.

This is motivated by the sequence I'm currently putting together. It is set in a dark cave with light streaming in through an opening. Occasionally the clouds cut the sun's path leading to something which looks like a "cardiovascular work out" in the LRT preview window.

Screenshot - https://cl.ly/513dd19f3141

I'm currently weighing up how to process this and have been reading other threads which discuss similar issues.

The recommendation in these was simply to set one keyframe and "try to decrease the contrasts (shadows, highlights) on the whole sequence."

This feels a little lazy to me and will inevitably lead to mediocre output. The alternative would be to use no keyframe and manually adjust each frame. A lot of work but the result I imagine would be much better.

I'm not that happy with either of these choices as one leads to poor output and the other hours and hours of processing.

Hence why I'm looking for a deeper understanding of what keyframes do and how they effect the other frames around them.

With better knowledge, I'm hoping I might be able to place keyframes strategically and cut down my work load.

Many thanks.
#2 Gunther
Maybe you can use more keyframes to combine the two approaches.
What you wrote about keyframes is basically true: they are anchor points, where you do your edits - everything inbetween will e automatically "transitioned" by LRTimelapse.
You can do as many keyframes as you want - you can also set them manually wherever you want. For example you can use the blue curve going up and down to set keyframes on the dark and bright parts.
To manually set keyframes, just go to the position in LRT and hit "1" on the keyboard, this will mark the frame as keyframe.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 tipper
Thanks.

Is there a rule to follow for smart keyframe placement?

For instance a keyframe set at the exact point of each exposure jump?

Or two keyframes at the start and end of each exposure jump?

Something else?

What is best practice?

Up until now, I've being letting LRT place the keyframes evenly throughout the sequence. But I want to start being more precise. However, right now I'm unclear how I decide where to place keyframes.

...also check out: