• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is Luminance Leveling and how do I manually adjust it?

#1 rgames
Hello,

I used LRTimelapse a while back (Version 2 or 3 I think?) and have just returned to it.  I'm confused about the "Luminance Leveling".  As I understand it, LRTimelapse no longer uses the "Exposure" parameter to change image brightness.  However, I can't find the "Luminance Leveling" parameter in Camera Raw/Lightroom.

There are a few spots where LRTimelapse gets the Luminance Leveling grossly wrong (e.g. 5+ stops of sudden change in brightness - I can't figure out what's causing that).  But since I can't find the Luminance Leveling control in Camera Raw/LR, I can't manually adjust it and I'm stuck with a sequence with a sudden, huge jump in brightness.

Any help there?

Thanks,

rgames
#2 Gunther
Luminance leveling will be applied on a background layer, you cannot edit it in Lightroom/ACR. It's not supposed to be edited.
Since the corections done by the auto holy grail will allways mirror the changes in camera settings that you did while shooting, sudden change in brightness can only happen, if those were introduced when shooting. You can try to use the sliders in the Holy Grail wizard to bring the orange compensation curve as close as possible to the middle.
Any further smoothing will happen via the visual deflicker.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rgames
(2017-03-14, 10:45)gwegner Wrote: Luminance leveling will be applied on a background layer, you cannot edit it in Lightroom/ACR. It's not supposed to be edited.
Since the corections done by the auto holy grail will allways mirror the changes in camera settings that you did while shooting, sudden change in brightness can only happen, if those were introduced when shooting. You can try to use the sliders in the Holy Grail wizard to bring the orange compensation curve as close as possible to the middle.
Any further smoothing will happen via the visual deflicker.

OK - what does luminance leveling change, though, and why is it better than using exposure?  I guess I just don't understand what luminance leveling is.  I presume it is tied to exposure setting changes - is that correct?  If so then that explains why it's creating such a huge exposure jump at the frame where I removed an ND filter.  But I have no way to tell it not to do that because (apparently) it's not a controllable parameter...  I normally do that with an exposure adjustment.

Right now LRTimelapse is creating an error with luminance leveling then I fix the error with exposure.  Why not just get rid of the error by allowing the user to set the luminance leveling, just like the user can set all the other parameters?

Thanks,

rgames
#4 Gunther
LumLeveling is happening in background, because that way it allows you to adjust exposure independently.
The Auto Holy Grail does all "lum leveling" for changes in brightness that are reflected in the camera's exif-data.
Obviously this is not the case for removing an ND filter (you didn't tell me about this in your last post).
So to correct the ND filter, just set a regular keyframe (blue, 4*) right before the filter removal and one right after.
Now you can change exposure on those two keyframes until they match in LR (you can change WB too or whatever you need to match them). Auto transition in LRTimelapse will then smoothly connect the other images.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: