• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

When Not to Use LRT

#1 RFPhotog
I've got a situation where, I think, LRT may be less useful and it seems to be causing problems of exacerbating flickering (not the fault of the application).

The attached screen grab shows the luminance graph of the source images.  As you can see, it goes along pretty well at the start but then gets quite wonky.  This isn't a camera problem.  It's a problem of the overall luminance of the images changing pretty dramatically due to changing elements in the scene.

At the start, because of the camera angle, the luminance is relatively static.  But then the camera angle changed.  What happens then is that the natural movement in the shots causes the overall scene luminance to adjust dramatically and rapidly as elements go in and out of the frame.  There is some blocking of light as well as one of the subjects moves in and out doing his work.

LRT does what it is supposed to do and tries to smooth out these differences but I'm wondering, since this is a natural occurrence, and not a technical issue whether LRT should be deployed in this case.  Whether, instead, it should just be used on the first batch of shots and allow the rest to be unaltered.

Thanks

#2 Gunther
Hi, for sequences like this you should try to set a referece area to a part of the image where you have rather a constant lightning setting.
Those types of sequences have kind of "natural" flicker, since probably your tattoo artist passed in front of the light source several times or similar, so lightning changed permanently.
It's not recommended to fully deflicker this - because this would introduce flicker in the constant parts. I have explained this in detail in my ebook: http://lrtimelapse.com/shop/ebook

So either you find a suitable reference area and apply a light deflicker, or you just don't deflicker and just edit in Lightroom and then export the video.
Please remember, that Lightroom might introduce some more flicker to images like those, if you edit to strong - this is due to the reasons explained here (even if you don't use dehaze): http://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new-...me-lapses/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 RFPhotog
Thanks, Gunther. A reference area is difficult. I think, probably, the better approach, in this case, is not to deflicker. Editing isn't overly strong. No dehaze. Just some of the basic parameters.
#4 Gunther
Okay, then leave the deflicker. You might try to use a bit of motion blur when rendering (in the Render dialog). Check, if you like the look.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: