• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can I use the latest Oracle Java 1.7 on Mac?

#1 Gunther
UPDATE: LRTimelapse 3 will bring its own java 1.7, so you don't have to worry about Java issues on Mac OS 10.7 and higher.

---
Currently unfortunately it is not possible to run LRTimelapse 2 with the Oracle JDK 1.7 on Mac.

Please blame Apple for this, LRTimelapse is pretty capable of running with a 1.7 Java (for example on Windows / Linux), and in fact I would like to ditch the 1.6 support rather sooner than later. But unfortunately the Java-Politics (yes we are talking about politics here) from Apple and Oracle are a real PITA for users and developers.

Java 7 (and any other Java installation not coming from Apple, i.e. every Java version from now on) will, by design, not be picked up by Apple Java launcher.

Apple now encourage developers to include the full JDK/JRE with their software. This would mean a 150MB download for LRTimelapse and would reduce the Java Approach of having a common runtime environment to absurdity.

If you install the 1.7 JDK on your Mac (only Lion and above) you won't see any difference, because all native Java Applications will still silently use Apple's version of Java (LRTimelapse displays the Java-Engine on startup).

You can install the Oracle Java, to be safe from security issues (those only refer to Web-Applets, not Java Applications like LRTimelapse.

So if you have both Java-Versions installed (you can check that with Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences), just move the Java 1.7 to the top in that Preferences and go ahead. This will make your web browser use the newest version to run any Java-Applets (that might cause security issues).

Please do not remove the 1.6 Apple Java or install it from Apple if you did remove it in the past, since currently stand alone applications like LRTimelapse will not be able to use the new one!

I hope to be able to give you an update soon after further research. Please notify me if someone of you tech-savvy Apple Guys should find a way to run LRTimelapse with the Oracle Java.

---
To install the latest Apple Java and fix any Java-related problems:

Uninstall any previous Apple-Java:

Chose Go/Go to folder
/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
Trash the 1.6 Java

Uninstall any Oracle Java:
Coose Go/Go to folder
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/
Trash anything (if Folder exists and not empty).

Then just try to launch LRTimelapse again, your mac will offer to install Java again, accept.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: