• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

White balance not ramping; usual fixes didn't work

#1 BrianHawkins
Tried editing a hyperlapse from my new DJI Mavic 2 Pro and noticed that after auto transition, white balance values are reset to 5001K, 10 no matter what they were before. All other attributes such as exposure ramp normally. LRT doesn't even see WB as values that change and it hides those columns. The only way to make it work is show the WB columns and manually dial in a value -100 thru 100 (I had to come up with a table for what temperature these values correspond to).

Fixes I've tried:
Upgrading from 4.8.3 to latest version 5 for Mac
Updating DNG converter
Initializing metadata before working with the sequence
Using LR to convert to DNG (even though they were already DNG)

Here is a zip file with 7 of the raw images for testing. These are straight from the drone and have not been changed except for the filenames. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgdp3ugbmajaxu...s.zip?dl=0

Thanks in advance for your help, Gunther!
Brian
#2 Gunther
With those files you need to manually change the white balance handling in the LRTimelapse Metadata menu via "Change White Balance Handling! Do that and the Whitebalance will be taken over!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 BrianHawkins
Thanks!
#4 Gunther
The white balance of Mavic and other DJI raw files should now be automatically handled correctly in LRTimelapse 5.0.9 that I've just released. But you will only notice this change with fresh sequences, or you could do "Metadata/Clear Metadata" and then let LRTimelapse reinitialize.
#5 aksel.gresvig
I'm experiencing this same, or a very similar issue, attempting to edit a timelapse sequence of photos from my DJI Mavic 2 Pro

What I've done
1. Imported using LRTimelapse importer, including "convert to DNG and resize to 4000px wide"
2. Set keyframes, drag to lightroom
3. Edit in Lightroom as I usually do
4. Refresh in LRT, Auto transition. So far so good.
5. Generate visual previews. This is when the problem occurs

First frame seems fine but then the rest of the frames have a very blue WB. I do not see this in the files in LR.

I just upgraded to latest LRT and DNG converter yesterday. macOS Mojave.

Thanks for all help!
#6 Gunther
If you shot the sequence in DNG with the mavic, why then do another "convert to DNG"?

Please check the white balance settings in the table: to the keyframes (for example first image) have different values for WB Temp / WB Tint than the other rows? If so, you might have done something wrong when editing. You can fix this by right clicking on the table headers for that column and "Fill down".

If that's not the case, check the White Balance handling in the metadata menu. Change the option there, save and redo the Visual Previews.

Make sure to always use the Visual Previews for evalutaion.
#7 aksel.gresvig
> why then do another "convert to DNG"
Because I wanted to reduce dimensions. 40MB Raw files -> 4MB, and much smoother editing process on my Mac. This was a small test-project.

The WB columns seems to have strange values for the first 40 rows. See image:
[Image: https://i.ibb.co/hMKLKsz/image.png]

Then from row 41 WB value is super high..
Row 1 is a keyframe. Not sure "Fill down" would work for that value?

I do not know what I could have done to cause this - I just followed my normal workflow!

I also cleared and re-inited metadata and tried again - same result.

BUT, changing WB handling from Relative to Absolute seems to have fixed the issue. Is that the permanent fix, then?

...also check out: