• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wifi Problems w/ Nikon D750 and DslrDashboard

#1 RJM403
Greetings,

I decided to try using DslrDashboard with my Nikon D750. I have QDslrDashboard installed on an iPad mini. I'm experiencing multiple problems.

First, it seems the D750 is turning it's own wifi connection off after maybe 3 to 5 minutes. It's like it's on a timer or something to disable wifi for too long. Is there a setting I'm unaware to ensure the D750 keeps its wifi on?

Second, during the short time that the D750 and the QDslrDashboard app are communicating, the interval is not consistent. For example, I have it set at a 5 second interval. I might get a shot, then another shot within 1 second, then a 10 second pause, then rapid fire off four shots in a row. In other words, it's totally jumping all over the place. 

Finally, again during the short time that the D750 and the QDslrDashboard app are communicating the top LCD (the little LCD on the top of the camera that shows basic information) is rapidly alternating between "PC" and the normal display of exposure info (shutter speed, aperature, etc...). I'm keeping the iPad within a meter or two of the camera, so the connection should be strong. 

Where should I begin?
#2 Gunther
I always use the D750 with internal Wifi for shooting with qDDB, it works flawlessly. Here are some things to consider:
- the D750 does not turn off WiFi as long as it's connected normally
- don't use the internal timer on qDDB, it's not reliable in my experience
- set your ipad to leave the screen on!
- use an external timer, that only briefly triggers the shutter (like the pixel tc 252) and/or modify the release cable: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
- don't shoot in live view mode
- turn off autofocus on the camera, use M mode, set shutter time on camera, etc. etc. - the usual procedure described in my ebook.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 RJM403
Gunther, thanks for your response. Are there any special considerations if using external trigger with the QDslrDashboard app? Will the app do control the camera's settings automatically or do I need to somehow change a setting to indicate an external trigger is being used?
#4 RJM403
Alright, so I've played around a bit with an external trigger. Seems to be working better now, kind of. Still having a problems that make it unusable.

There's about a 25 second delay after an exposure before it's displayed on the iPad. It seems the image displayed on the iPad is updated once for every exposure, but it's about 25 seconds behind real time. In other words, if I have a 5 second interval and jump in front of the camera, it displays about 5 exposures before it finally shows the one frame with me in it.

The more significant issue is the app doesn't seem to be changing its exposure properly. I've simulated a "sunset" a few times by progressively decreasing the light in a room. The app has been inconsistent in whether it even changes the exposure automatically or it simply doesn't react at all. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'm not sure what I've done to make it work sometimes, but not others.
#5 Gunther
Check how long it takes to display a picture after pressing "Capture Sample" on qDDBs time lapse screen.
Then activate "display next jpg" and check, how log it takes to display the preview after triggering the external intervalometer.

Bear in mind that when shooting with the external intervalometer, qDDB will only transfer every 3rd image shot (this is intended!)

You should read this article too:
http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: