• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Will I really utilise 64GB of RAM?

#1 BenyC90
Hi everyone,

I'm building a new PC for video editing:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 8-core 3.8GHz
Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 SSD (working drive with my photos/videos on it)
Samsung 500GB 860 Evo Sata III SSD (operating system)
Gigabyte GTX 1660 OC graphics card
Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus motherboard
Corsair 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz RAM

My question is will I really utilise that 64GB of RAM, or will my CPU end up being the bottleneck? If I went down to 32GB, would that be better suited?

The programs I'll be running are LRTimelapse, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. Maybe DaVinci Resolve in the future, but I haven't tried it yet.

I was going to pick the Ryzen 7 5800X (faster), but I've read of quite a few people having issues with it, and instantaneous temperature spikes.

Thanks for your help!
#2 Gunther
Normally, if you are not using all of those applications at the same time, you won't use more than 32 GB of RAM. LRT won't take profit of it. Much more important are multiple processor cores and one or more fast SSDs.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 BenyC90
Thanks Gunther, that info is appreciated.
#4 BenyC90
Hi again Gunther,
I take it from your previous reply that LRTimelapse code is written to take advantage of multiple cores. What kind of performance increase would I typically see going from 8 to 10 cores? Or even 12 cores?
Is it as simple as 10 cores are 25% faster than 8, and 12 cores are 50% faster than 8, and 20% faster than 10?
The CPUs I am looking at are AMD Ryzen 7 5700G (8 core), the Intel i5 12600K (10 core), or the Intel i7 12700KF (12 cores). The 5700G and the 12600K are the same price so I'd get the 12600K only I can't find an LGA1700 motherboard I like at a decent price.
#5 Gunther
Basically 20 cores will do the job in half the time compared to 10 cores if they have the same clock frequency.
Usually you cannot get any better performance gain with software that is good at parallelizing tasks (as LRTimelapse and also the latest Lightroom Classic versions) as by increasing the number of cores.
If I'd go for a custom PC for timelapse, I'd again go for a Threadripper with at least 16 cores or even 24 or 32. The more the better.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: