• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wiring - Confirmations of Wiring Location Positions and Transistor placement

#1 GavinWehlburg
Please could someone assist me before I power the Intervalometer with confirmation of the Wiring and Transistor placement, As I am unsure from the website wiring diagrams.

I have attached 3 pictures:
- Website Wiring Diagram Screenshot.jpg
- Position 12 Photo.jpg
- Resistor position.jpg

1. I have all the wiring going to the Display Shield - Part = DI Robot Shield as specified from the Website - so no wiring to the Arduino.

Wiring Location Positions - Black Wires (one from the 2,5mm jack + one from the Battery):

2. The Black Cable in the top website diagram attached below is the main problem for me and appears different to the bottom website diagram.
Specifically:
- the top picture of the website diagram shows one Black wire coming from the PCBoard to a position on the right hand end of the Shield
- The website instructions - “The Black ground must be soldered to the pin on the far right of the second block” ??

- The new Shields are appear to have a different layout but are the same as the bottom picture of the website diagram?
- the bottom picture of the website diagram shows both Black wires (one from the 2,5mm jack + one from the Battery joined together) going to the 4th from left of the Pin positions Group that end with the "VIN" position where the Red wire goes

Please could someone assist:
3. Do both Black wires together (one from the 2,5mm jack + one from the Battery) go to the same position on the Shield??
4. if so, is this the 4th from left of the Pin positions Group that ends with the "VIN" position on the Shield where the Red wire goes
5. or is the PCB Black wire placed to a different position as per the top website picture diagram and if so, please could someone describe this specifically on the new shield and with a web photo?

Wiring Location Positions - Red Wire from PCBoard to Pin Position 12):
6. The website instructions require the Red Wire from PCBoard, connected to the Resistor, to be soldered to Pin Position 12 on the Shield.

The bottom website diagram reflects a Yellow cable, however this does not appear to go to Pin position 12, but rather to Pin position 6 (ie 7th from right)

The Schematic layout of the Shield below the Wiring Schematic in the website's bottom picture is more accurate and the 12th Pin position is 4th from left under the "ad" portion of the text on the Shield's writing of "Keypad"

I have attached a second photo (Position 12.jpg) of my Shield and soldering to what I see as Pin position 12 flowing up from the Arduino Shield P12 location into the Shield

7. Have I wired the Red wire to the correct location for the Pin 12 position?

Transistor Placement:
8. Does it matter which way around the the Resistor is placed - I have used a NPN - BC337 with the thin Red band on the Resistor furtherest (left) with the larger Brown Band closest (right) to the incoming Red wire that goes to Pin 12.

I have attached a third photo (Resistor position.jpg) to show the Resistor, its colour banding and orientation on the PCBoard

9. Have I correctly oriented the Resistor on the PCBoard?

Be grateful for your comments and assistance as I dont wish to have a puff of smoke.

Kind regards
Gavin Wehlburg
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Sheeba
Hello Gavin,
your attached pictures are unfortunately too bad to recognize something.
The best way to do the wiring is as shown in the bottom picture of the web page. Red line (+ pole) from the battery via the switch to pin VIN on the display. Black line (-pole) from the battery to the pin to the left of Vin. With that you have already made the power supply of the Arduino and the display.
The black wire from the 2.5 mm jack you connect to the pin on the left of the black wire comming from the battery. The yellow wire from the resistor then connect to pin 12 as shown in the picture.
There is no installation direction for the resistor !!
Do not worry, if you've connected the wires from the battery correctly, turn them on and the display is working, nothing can happen. If it does not work in the end, make better pictures of the PCB and post it.
I hope I could help you.
Greetings Hans
#3 GavinWehlburg
Hi Hans, thank you for your reply. The website picture is on the LRTimelapse website. The other 2 photo's are helpful but not essential (sorry they are not better resolution but unsure of available size limits on the post as it is not stated, so made them low res). Please could you read my original text and advise on the points number: 3, 4, 5, and 7 - You have answered Point 9. Kind regards Gavin
#4 Sheeba
Hello Gavin, i have attached a PDF. Hope it will help more!!
Regards, Hans
Attached Files

.pdf   PT_Con_1.pdf (Size: 347.82 KB / Downloads: 55)
#5 GavinWehlburg
Hi Hans,

Thank you so much for the diagram, this is great and clear.

I have the following Two questions:

With respect to My Points 3,4 and 5 concerning the Black wires. Your diagram shows the Black wires going to the two positions next to and directly left of the Red wires which goes into the "Vin" marked position (both on the Shield and on the underlying Arduino board).

These two positions left of the "Vin" position on the Arduino board are both marked "Gnd".

Question - as both are ground, does it make any difference whether or not both are placed in either of the ground pin positions or is it better practice or is there some other reason why these should go, as you have indicated on your pdf to each of the separate "Gnd" ground positions?

The Red wire from the Resistor. Both the website and your first reply refer to locating this wire in the P12 position.

My note referenced the Digital PWM markings on the Arduino UNO Board which reflect a PWM Position #12.

The diagrams show the Yellow wire or in my case the Red wire from the Resistor going to different positions to the underlying Arduino Board which, as I am clueless on electrics but try to make sense, is simply confusing from the Board's text (and the website for me is not exactly crystal clear either - I believe it has an error?).

What made this absolutely clear for me and pulled it all together, was then researching the Arduino UNO Pin Positioning and low and behold there are two different numbering systems.

I was looking the the obvious but wrong) PWM Numbering visible on the Board.

The technical and correct view (I hope that I am correct?), but not shown or explained precisely, is the PIN Numbering related to the Arduino Board. The PIN Number position 12, corresponds to the PWM Number "-6" position on the Boards lettering.

To assist others that may read this and are similarly skilled as myself, I have attached the Arduino Board PIN Out Diagram. I hope this helps you and may be useful to explain and have posted on the Website.

The other useful point that I found from your writing and clear pdf was that one also needs to have the Transistor correctly aligned so that the 3 PIN's (Looking at the Flat Face of the component, left to right = 1 = Collector | 2 = Base | 3 = Emitter, are also correctly aligned. Luckily, but only by chance, did I have this correct. Hopefully this also helps others and thank you to Hans once again.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Gavin Wehlburg
Attached Files

.pdf   Arduino UNO Pinout - UNOV3PDF-png.pdf (Size: 466.96 KB / Downloads: 30)
#6 Sheeba
Hello Gavin,

regarding the two black leads to Gnd, these can be connected together to one of the Gnd pins or as I have shown both separately. That actually makes it easier.
Regarding the pins on the display, there were already several people confused. The front pin row does not have the same assignment as the one directly behind it. I have attached a pinout of the display that should explain that.

Greetings Hans
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#7 Sheeba
Hi Gavin,
Does it work now?

...also check out: