• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Working with AV footage

#1 Rob SC
Hey mate.

Trying to get a good result out of the program with some test stuff I did the other day and having a bit of trouble seeing any results.

After watching your "holy grail" tutorial I shot a quick 'dusk to dark' scene using AV mode. (canon 5D)

My workflow is using Bridge/AE

Ingest Jpgs from card.
Open image sequence in Bridge.
Open image sequence in Camera Raw.
Adjust in Camera Raw. (very minimal correction)
Sync in Camera Raw.
Open image sequence in LRT
Select relevant section of image. (experimented with lots of areas)
Deflicker in LRT (experimented with different smoothing/strengths)
Save from LRT
Import image sequence to AE
Render.

While my overall flicker isn't too bad I have a several spikes where the cameras meter has read slightly more or less than its surrounding images and gone from say a 2" exposure to a 2"5' and back again and thus the middle image is much brighter.

These spikes are seen clearly using LRT, and when I use deflicker the exposure curve shows matching exposure compensation. So all seems good. (see pic- after saving deflicker)

However when I save and render in AE these spikes are still very very apparent in my final video as is other flicker.

I guess my question is can LRT deal with adjusting single frames and matching to adjoining frames or does it only look at "chunks" of images made from large ISO changes. Have you had much success using LRT and AV mode?

Hopefully I am just missing something obvious as i'd love it too work!

On the next test i'll make sure the meter is in a good position (may have been a little off in first test) but regardless would be good to see if the program can help me here.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
Rob

Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Hi Rob,
some notes from my side:

You avoid most of the trouble if you shoot in manual mode and use the workflow I explained in the holy grail tutorial. Especially those peaks are very hard to get rid of.
I certainly don't know what your camera settings are but make sure to avoid any dynamic in camera processing (D-Lightning and so on) that could affect the jpgs (or when shooting raw the previews) that are used as reference for deflickering.

Quote:I guess my question is can LRT deal with adjusting single frames and matching to adjoining frames or does it only look at "chunks" of images made from large ISO changes.
Sure LRT deals with that spikes. But depending on your settings and camera-processing of the previews it might be difficult to fully compensate them.

I would try deleting the frames from the sequence. Normally that should give you the best results.

Quote:On the next test i'll make sure the meter is in a good position (may have been a little off in first test) but regardless would be good to see if the program can help me here.

I would definitely recommend shooting in manual mode and using RAW for the best results. In your example there should be enough "room" in the RAW to cover the whole dynamic range without even have to manually change exposure or ISO whilst shooting.

Good luck!

Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: