• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wrong Images / Previews in Sequence

#1 Gunther
Q: I have found that when I load a new folder, the first image in the sequence sometime reads as being an image from the previous sequence, although if you look at the image in the folder, it is clearly not that past image. There seem to be "ghost" residual images.

A: In very rare cases this can happen. It's only the cached previews that are wrong in those cases, not the images themselves.
This is very easy to fix: just hit "Shift-F5" to recreate the previews.

Explanation why this might happen: when first loading the sequence, LRTimelapse uses ExifTool in Background to extract the previews. This will normally only happen once, and then the previews get cached by LRTimelapse. If you interrupt this creation process, LRTimelapse tries to kill the exiftool process to be able to load another sequence. But sometimes this does not work instantly and then ExifTool still delivers a preview from the previous sequence then when you already are loading the next one.

How to avoid this completely: Wait until the previews have been generated completely when loading a sequence for the first time.
Another way to avoid this is by using the LRTimelapse importer - it will generate the previews right away when importing from the card, so you will never have to wait for the preview generation process anymore and never get scrambled previews.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#2 helloiamrory
Hey Gunther!

Thanks for the info on this!

Recently on bigger jobs where I have large amounts of sequences to process, I have been experiencing this quite often.

Re-loading the files uses up a large amount of time when you have 30 to 40 sequences to process, and I often still get incorrect previews even after trying this.

I'll give the importing via LRT a try instead of just browsing for the folder in the media browser. Is it fine that my source files are on an external drive or anything that I should be aware of?

Once the folder has been imported via LRT, every time that I need to work on that folder can I then access it via the media browser in LRT, or do I have to re-import it?

Thank you
#3 Gunther
Hi Rory,
the previews only might get scrambled if you change too quickly between folders while the previews still have not been fully generated. It's always recommended to let LRTimelapse generate the previews when first loading a folder.

The LRTimelapse importer is only used once to copy the sequences from the memory card to the harddrive and create the initial previews.
#4 helloiamrory
Ah great thanks Gunther. Ye I think that might just be it.

I'll rather not double up on my files so importing them will not really work.

What is the best way to ingest a large collection of sequences into LRT (per big job) and have them all processed in one go, so I can just leave the machine and not click around, and then return to all my folders ready for keyframe work, initial normal previews built in the correct places, and ready to import into lightroom? Basically the best way to do this without the chance of getting previews in the wrong place

Thanks for the help!
#5 Gunther
If you have a Pro license you can use the batch features: in LRTimelapse just right click on each folder in the tree and chose to "Generate Previews (force renewal)".
#6 helloiamrory
Hey Gunther

I do have a pro licence and that's actually how I normally do them, but I still have this preview issue..
#7 Gunther
Hmm... normally this shouldn't give any problems. But try to avoid loading other sequences without previews into the main window while doing this.
#8 helloiamrory
Ye I think I might do that now and again. I'll give it another try and let you know the outcome. Busy working on a bunch at the moment.

Does "generate Previews (force renewal)" also initialise the sequence, or is that something that happens in the background automatically now days?

Because you can aslo do a batch initialisation, but in this version I never really see the need to do it anymore. Or am I making a horrible mistake?

Thanks Gunther
#9 Gunther
Initializing happens automatically when loading a sequence. Normally there is no need for the batch initialization anymore. Maybe I'll remove it in the next version.
#10 Posse
I stumbled upon an issue like this today aswell. Some 1100 images from 2 folders, but I did use the import feature in LRTimelapse. It seemed like the previews got shuffled 3-by-3 or something, giving a very jagged playback (plus some random frames that came from all over the sequence. Right-click and Force Renewal didn't do anything for me, but Shift+F5 seems to have generated new previews that works. I've kept my fingers away from LRT while it's importing and creating previews etc, but I guess this is just something that can happen from time to time.

LRT 4.7.5 + Nikon D800 triggered by View+

...also check out: