LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: AE/Premier plug-in to fix dropped TL frames?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi All,

Dropped frames are the bane of my existence. It doesn’t happen often, but, when it does, that’s a sequence I can’t use. 

I’m going to be shooting a 30 minute TL for a client, with 2-second intervals (yes, that’s 30 minutes, which is 45,000 photos, not a typo :-) I can’t afford any dropped frames in the final movie. 

Can anyone suggest a plug-in for AE or Premiere that will interpolate movement and drop in a missing frame?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Chas
I'd recommend to check your setup. Dropped frames usually only happen, when the camera/memory card is too slow or the intervalometer is bad.
You're correct, of course, but once in a while dropped frames do happen (e.g. last night I had to stop a sequence for a single frame to make a camera adjustment). Would be nice to figure out how I can fill those gaps.
Normally you can't. You can try to duplicate the previous or next frame but you'll always see it at the end.
Also camera adjustments should be possible without stopping the intervalometer with the right setup.
You're right, we _should_ be able to make camera adjustments without dropping frames, but sometimes we can't :-)

And duplicating frames to fix a gap, definitely not a good idea (I can always see a skip or duped frame). Once I spent hours trying to move clouds in photoshop manually, in an invented intermediate frame. I came close, but there were several layers of clouds, and I couldn't move them all correctly. The "fixed" frame was worse than a skipped frame.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. You can't fix it in post efficiently. But with the right setup you can do all the holy grail adjustments without dropped frames.
Use a hacked Intervalometer (use search feature here), and the right camera setup and do it with qDslrDashboard. Check out the faq, there is an entry about shooting auto holy grail with qDDB.
All good advice, thanks (fyi: I'm the one who posted about how to hack a cable for Sony cameras, so I've already taken this good advice :-)

I find qDDB a bit slow with Sony cameras, so I do my holy grails mostly manually now (but I do use qDDB regularly when I shoot with my D750). That is what leads to the occasional human error when making adjustments, thus the occasional skipped frame (they're rare, but accidents happen).