LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: HELP - PLEASE CHECK MY SHIELD CONNECTIONS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. Now that I have assembled my Pro Timer Free, it's time to check that everything is working, and it seems I have a problem.

The timer does not fire my Canon 700D. I have checked everything with the exception of the connections to the shield. I have followed things even down to using the same color wire shown on the diagrams, so my connections should be obvious to you, however I am uncertain that I have soldered to the correct connection points on the shield.

The attached photo shows where my red, black and yellow wires are connected. There is a single black running to the shield as I have the 2 black wires soldered together, with just one wire running to the board.

I would really appreciate it if the community could check my connections and let me know if I have made a mistake so I can get it working properly.

Many thanks, Norm
Have you checked the pinout of the transistor you're using? Depending on the part number, the pins may be arranged differently than the instructions show.

https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-wir...2#pid34102
Thanks for the assistance MLXXXp, that was a great suggestion. My transistor has the emitter and collector pins reversed from the standard.
I have re-wired it and now it fires the camera. Still testing, will advise how it all goes for both a Canon 700D and a 5D Mk2 (when I get that one's trigger cable delivered).

Many thanks, Norm, Canberra, Australia
Another note for builders - After I got everything assembled, I kept getting random shutter releases, or none at all. It was very frustrating to track down the problem, but eventually I traced it to a dodgy TRS socket for the release cable. Everything looked fine, and tested properly with a multi-meter, but as soon as a cable was plugged in it seems there was a short created in the connector that created the havoc. As the socket I used was a closed unit, I couldn't see inside it to eyeball any problems. I replaced the socket and it now works 100% Thanks to Gunter and friends for this great device.
Norm, Canberra, Australia