LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Support for HEVC on Mac
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There seems to be a bug in how the h265 exports are done with ffmpeg.

I was concerned why files exported from LRTimelapse didn't show up in quickview or quicktime. They are mov files so you would expect compatibility.

I then did some searching online and found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8091782

Basically, apple expects a different tag for HEVC than other people use. "Handbrake tags h.265 files as 'hev1', while High Sierra recognizes only 'hvc1'."

I used exiftool to inspect the file that had been output from LRTimelapse:
Compressor ID : hev1
Vendor ID : FFmpeg

I tried the suggested fix on the forum.
ffmpeg -i input.mov -vcodec copy -acodec copy -tag:v hvc1 output.mov

That allowed osx to see the movie file as I would have initially expected.

Please fix the output command to add this hvc1 tag so that the movies can be natively identified by osx/quicktime/whateverlib.

Other info:
OSX: 10.14.1
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz
So this seems to be a bug / deficiency in mac os, normally I wouldn't work around this, since it might break on other platforms or cause incompatibilities. Apple should really get their homework done on such things.
But anyway: I've done a couple of tests, and the programs that I've tested (Windows Explorer Preview, VLC, MPC Player), all seem to be fine with the hvc1 tag, so I will add it in LRTimelapse 5.1. Let's hope that this won't brake the compatibility for something else.
I've changed this for now in 5.1, please let me know.
Works great for me now. Thanks for fixing it!