LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: running out of disk space
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear All,

Just a silly question, I shot a time lapse that ended up with 9420 shots, everything was going well until it started running out of space on my 1T HD, so I have to start moving files right left and centre to my portable HD's.
It took 48 hours on my skin and bones system to complete the task, but at the end it came with an error notice saying that there has been a number of files/shots missing due to the lack of space.
Is there a better way to process a large Time Lapse, apart from the obvious of having a large HD?
What will be the best course to follow to process the missing files without having to spend another 48 HRS processing, (please don't suggest to ask Eddie Murphy).

regards,

Rodrigo
Rodrigo, I don't know exactly at which time in the workflow you've got the out of disk space error - LRTimelapse itself won't use much space additionally to the raw files. But when you export from Lightroom, you will of course create an intermediary sequence - most likely you are using JPG - that's the best choice in your case, because TIFF will just get huge. You need to take care that the output destination has enough space for the export.
After export - when rendering - again the file size will depend on the video format that you use. And LRTimelapse will need some place on the temp folder (which is set in your system configuration).
All in all, for timelapse processing - especially for such huge amounts of images (most timelapse are way under 1000 images), you'll need a lot of disk space. And external USB drives are not the best option, because in most cases they are much slower than an internal SSD.
Let me know, where you've got the out of disk space error.
Hi Gunther, the error started to show more or less in the middle of the exporting, Lightroom would show a message saying " you need to create some space".
For what you said probably it is my fault as I'm exporting as Tiff. The error result it said that there were about 300 fotos missing from the whole convertion.
Does the quality of the output suffers if it is exported in jpg?
For such huge timelapse sequences I'd always go for JPG intermediaries. Most likely you won't notice any change in quality.
Thanks Gunther.