LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: What do you believe is the best camera for timelapse?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Nikon D750 and I really like it. I think that for the quality verses price it is one of the best values out there. I'm actually considering getting a 2nd one to have as a backup and also be able to shoot 2 timelapses at once since I'm not able to get out and shoot as often as I'd like (and this would allow me to get double the amount of content created).

But since I'm considering getting another body it's prompted me into thinking about moving to something else entirely. The D750 is definitely not perfect for instance, it's annoying how I can't see any information to review when I'm doing a timelapse, I can only trust the meter. I'm good at knowing where my camera settings need to be - but it could still be better. Also, I've been getting more into video and anything I've done with the D750 is pretty mediocre and so there is an increase in cost to me because I can't use it for both photos and video. I would probably go for a GH5 or something like that - but again now I'm owning 2 brands at once and it doesn't seem like an efficient use of money.

So I'm wondering - do you have a particular camera or camera brand which you find to be best at timelapse? And also, what solution might you recommend to me? I'd like to just stay put because I'm most familiar with Nikon - but I often think that switching to Canon or Sony or even Fuji may make more sense at this point.
I love my two (2) D750's and have no desire whatsoever to buy and learn a new system. I too, do two timelapses at the same time. If I did any switching I'd probably go to two (2) D850's but that is way out of my budget.
Any interest in going to the Z6 or Z7?
D750 is still one of the best cameras for timelapse imo. Z6 / Z7 are also good.
I’m looking for a second camera for Timelapse’s and would like to know if the previous statements are still true and/or if there are any other cameras that should be included when I’m looking?
It all depends on your budget. The mentioned cameras are very good for timelapse. The biggest demand for a timelapse camera is a great dynamic range of the sensor. Nikon Sensors have been great in the past and are still great. When I look at my timelapses that I shot back in the days with a D750, they are still great to edit and look awesome. If I look at my timelapses that I shot with a Canon 6D, they are horrible in terms of Dynamic Range.
But of course, I don't know all cameras, since personally I shoot Nikon since a long time. Today the Nikon Z 8 is my go to camera that I use for timelapse along with the Z 7II.
Thank you for your feedback. I've decided to go with a used Z6 as I prefer to go mirrorless and that is in my budget.