LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Deflicker inside the Holy Grail module
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I was wondering if there's a deflicker within the Holy Grail module ?

I've attached two images within a sequence. These are only 5 frames apart but as the foreground becomes brighter the background becomes darker ? I've tried this without using the HG module by skipping the frames where are camera settings change and this effect doesn't happen. The only thing I can put it down to is the Holy Grail module is doing some sort of deflicker ? And if so how can I turn it off ?

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve.
You should always do a Visual deflicker run after applying the Holy Grail to smoothen out any residual flicker.
Thanks for the quick reply Gunther.

I tried the Visual Deflicker on this shot but it did nothing for the issue.

I don't think I explained my issue very well so I'll try again hopefully more clearly this time.

The two frames shown above are NOT located at a point of camera setting changes. In the raw shot, the foreground gets suddenly brighter due to the sun coming from behind cloud. But when I use the Holy Grail function, this brighter frame is darkened like it's being deflickered. This is shown in the second frame above and is obvious as the sky gets darker compared to the first frame. I'm not using the deflicker as it doesn't seem appropriate to use here. I want the frame to be brighter - the sky to remain the same intensity and the foreground to light up.

Now if I make up another folder of images from this sequence where there are no exposure changes in the camera settings and hence no need for Holy Grail, this issue doesn't happen.

My understanding is that the Holy Grail function is "simply" adjusting the exposure to counteract the camera setting changes ? So why would it apply what looks like a deflicker type function ?

When I load the keyframes for the Holy Grail version into Lightroom their intensities have clearly been changed but I see no values within Lightroom that reflect this ?

I have read somewhere that a change has been made for version 5 where the Holy Grail function no longer uses the Exposure value to make these camera setting adjustments. If this is the case how does it change the frame intensities ? Is what I am seeing something to do with the way Lightroom's "AI" functionality ?

By the way I am using LRTimelapse 5.2.2 and Lightroom 5.7.1

Sorry for the long winded questions but I've spent a couple of days on trying to figure this out.

Steve.
As an adjunct I've just installed an older version of LRT. Version 4.8.3 and the problem doesn't occur.

Curious ?
More info. This shot was never really meant for use and I am pulling the exposure quite heavily (3 stops down) and I do wonder if the Lightroom AI feature is causing the issues.
No, it's the Holy Grail Wizard which already applies a bit of deflickering, compensation for luminance changes. You can see that in the orange curve. In LRT4 the Holy Grail Wizard worked differently.
You might be able to ease this a bit, if you choose a proper deflicker reference area before applying or adjusting the Holy Grail Wizard.
Ok. I'll give that a go thanks Gunther.