LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Your best Lens for landacape timelapse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ho guys, I would try ti reduce the weight of my equipment for timelapse. In your opinion what are the two main Lens to have for landscape timelapse?
My personal choice: Sigma Art 20 f/1.4 and Sigma Art 14 f/1.8.
Hello Enrico,
My favorite on full frame is the Zeiss Distagon 25 mm f2.0. Its a very good quality lens and completely manual - which is a great advantage for time lapse. But not cheap and not really light weight.

For years (before switching to full frame) I have used the Olympus 12 mm f2.0 on a Panasonic Lumix body. That, or similar would be the most lightweight option i guess, but there is the limitation in light sensitivity of the smaller MFT-Sensor, if you want to use it at night.

If you use full frame, the older manual primes such as Canon FD or Nikon AiS maybe be interesting for you. They are completely manual lenses and available with lots of different maximum apertures and weights. Image quality is not always up to modern standards, but many of these old primes are still praised today.

Gunther, do you use your Sigma Art lenses with open aperture only? (As they are auto focus lenses)
Now I use a Nikon d610 and a Tamron 15-30 g1
@keksi: I don't care about aperture restrictions anymore because LRT5 and it's multipass visual deflicker get rid of any flicker that might be introduced by the lens.
That's why I use any AF Lens, choose the aperture according to my needs and just go for it. The times where we had to shoot with locked aperture, or do tricks like twisted lens, manual lenses etc. are fortunately over!
Thx Gunther, interesting to hear that. But isn't that quite a strain for the iris? How long will an iris tolerate that treatment?
Never heard of an Iris breaking or wearing down. Wouldn't be concerned about that.