LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Best ND for daytime shooting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
any suggestions of a good 4 or 5 stops ND filter that gives good results with timelapse shooting except Nisi or Cokin?
Screw on type.
Thanx
Hi
I use Haida Nano Pro ND filters.

Best regards
Monika
Edit: Sorry, didn't notice you asked for screw on type...

Hi,

I'm using Firecrest (Ultra) filters from Formatt Hitech https://www.formatt-hitech.com/, UK based company. Also a 10 stop from Breakthrough Photography https://breakthrough.photography/. The latter not so much for timelapse, more for long exposures. These are 100mm square filters. Note that due to the filter holder system inherent to 100mm, these may not be appropriate with very wide angle lenses due to vignetting.

An option when you want to add/remove quickly a filter during a timelapse sequence is the Manfrotto Xume magnetic filter holder system, but then you must work with screw-on filters. I use B+W.

May I ask you why not Nisi?

JF
I use Kase Filters. They are very much like the Nisi in color/neutrality and have tougher glass. Most filters with the wolverine label on them are slightly thicker but they can be dropped from maybe tripod height or waist level height and won't break. I have dropped my filters a few times by accident on concrete and they didn't break. The one that slipped on my hand was eye level height drop, it chipped the edge but didn't crack the whole filter(square filter). Not sure if they can survive higher than chest/waist-level drops e.g. if dropped from stairs which will not be a single drop but will have a few more bounces and hits. I haven't tried that yet, nor am I looking forward to doing it intentionally. For screw type, they also have them with similar glass, ND and characteristics but has the option for magnetic - for easy attach/detach action.
Thanx for all the answers.
Nothing wrong with Nisi, not any particular reason, just wanted to know what others are using other than the most known brands to see if there are quality options or something that timelapse shooters prefer for some reason.

The problem with the filter holder and squared filters is a bit of the hassle of setting it up, removing it as I change lenses, I’m tempted to get into that, which would also save me money as all the filters would work with all lenses I have, but getting a new set of filters + holder is kind of an “investment” and I already have most of the filters I mainly use, just looking for a 5 stops for shooting in full daylight.