LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: creative use of LRTimelapse for stills
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
today i had an idea for using the power of LRTimelapse for still purposes.
In detail i'll try to create a startrail shot. The idea comes to me because there's old techniques, when a startrails was 1 hour or more in B position. So the photographer was changing the aperture over time for creating effects like trails gently disappearing, or a dotted line effect, things like that.
But now, with the power of digital, and the softwares for photomerging, you can do a lot of single shots at lower exposure time, and the fuse it together. So, what about changing the brightness of the stars along time, or their color, or the contrast, or the clarity Smile
i'll investigate in this direction but i think this kind of workflow can have great creative possibilities
You can easily do this with every time lapse of the night sky. For example just animate the Exposure to fade to black, export your sequence as JPG (from Lightroom) and feed it into Startrails. Voila, you have fading out trails.

One more tip: when making starttrails it's mostly useful to develop rather dark single-sequences.

If you got any results with this technique, please share them with us!
yeah, that's exactly what i mean Smile
and i though exactly about startrails, really simple but useful tool Wink
i will post here my results, need only to find some time to do it Wink
(2012-08-01, 09:56)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]If you got any results with this technique, please share them with us!

Here i am again,
with nothing to be proud of really, because i went to some friends for a lunch together, and have putted the camera just before sunrise and start intervalometer with bulb ramping (i'm using the fantastic magiclantern, for canon, wich has all this functions and a lot more). But i did'nt realize that, when the night becomed, there's a hge light on the right. So the pic, photographically speaking, is for trash, but i wanted to give a try to the worflow that i've suggested earlier in this post. so here is some variations with the same frames:

[Image: trails_1.jpg]
3 keyframes. the first and the last are overexposed, quite black, the center is well exposed

[Image: trails_2.jpg]
2 keyframes. The first is underexposed, the last well exposed

[Image: trails_3.jpg]
8 keyframes, equidistant, alternatively underexposed and well exposed

Of course when i've something more interesting i will post here. Anyway the theory is right, and i think this technique could be very interesting for light painting too Wink