LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Nikon intervalometer question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there….

I'm pretty new to timelapse and have been doing some tests with my Nikons (D4 & D800). Test results show that the built-in intervalometer measures start-of-shot to start-of-next-shot. (Originally I thought that it probably measured end-of-shot to start-of-next-shot, but that wasn't the case.)

Can anyone confirm this behavior, and that the built-in Nikon intervalometer will work reliably with long (astro) timelapses? Generally my night timelapse sequences are 30sec exposures with about a 4sec interval, so setting the Nikon intervalometer to 34 seconds seems to work. But something seems to be a bit unreliable about the way it functions at very long exposures.

I have a Promote that I can use with one of the cameras if I need to, but I generally like to go out with both cameras and don't really want to purchase another Promote.

Anyone have any suggestions? (BTW, I'm a huge fan of LRTimelapse2… way to go Gunther!)

(thanks)

-g
www.garyyost.com
Hi, just for my convenience I often use the build in intervallometer when shooting night scenes without slider etc. It is pretty reliable. I use to set exposure to 30 sec and the interval to 33 or 34 and that works perfect. It's often easier than fiddling around with an external intervallometer in the dark.
Thanks... I'll continue to do more testing with long exposures to get some confidence with the built-in i-meter.

As an aside, I just ordered Promote's bramping cable. Since I already have that unit I think it'll be great to try producing some holy grails....

-g