LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: New MBP Specs Question.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys Im new to the forum so thought id introduce myself.

Im an amateur time-lapse photographer from Cornwall in the UK. Ive been shooting time-lapse for maybe 8/9 years on and off and I'm just starting work on a personal time-lapse project.

Im currently editing on a mid 2015 MBP.
Specs are -
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
and 250GB HDD.

Its an older computer and starting to show its age. For exporting the JPEGS from LR it can take hours if there are several hundred or thousands of files.
Using programs like After Effects is almost impossible and editing in Premiere is do able but can be super slow at times. Im careful to only have the app that I need to be working in open and im using Clean My Mac X to keep clutter down and try to help a bit.

Now for my question...

I'm looking at buying a new MacBook Pro and wondering what specs I should go for.
Apple are offering a 0% finance option so I can afford to spend a little more as it'll be spread over a long period.

Im thinking of specking it like this.
2.3GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
1TB SSD storage

Should I go for the 64GB of Ram and the top Graphics card or will these be overkill?
Im looking to kind of future proof it a bit too, so id rather spend the money now and as cameras evolve the laptop will still be capable for a while.

I know with a windows PC I could build one for less but I need Macs for work so need to stick with apple.

Look forward to hearing from you guys! Smile
64 GB Ram is not necessary in my opinion for timelapse work. What helps is a good multi-core processor (the more cores the better) and fast SSDs.
I've just configured a computer with a very good price-performance ratio and introduced it to my audience in my German Blog. If you don't mind working with Windows (that's what I prefer), don't mind spending 2-3 hours assembling a PC according to my instruactions and you'd like to save a considerable amount of money, just use Google Translator on my blog post and go for it :-)

Original article in German: https://gwegner.de/know-how/guenstiger-r...tung-2020/
Via Google Translate to English: https://translate.google.com/translate?h...ng-2020%2F
Thanks for taking replying Gunter, its much appreciated.

Unfortunately in my day job I need to be Mac as the software I use is specific to Mac OS. Really good to read your PC build article though so thank you for including that! Makes my decision a lot easier Smile