LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Rendering TL video with JPEGs impossible since newest PS update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
I just got the newest update of Photoshop installed (v. 21.2.0). The export-function creates a sequence of .JPEG images that are not or no longer recognized by LRT in the 'Render video'-step . I checked in my archives: previous versions of PS created an export of .jpg images, and now in the updated version it creates .JPEG images (this cannot be modified in the settings of PS). As a test, in a sequence of 525 newly exported JPEGs, I modified the extension of one of the images to .jpg and LRT did recognize this single image and made a 'timelapse' of it (of one image, so to speak).
Also, when choosing to render the original, unprocessed an not-exported .jpg files coming straight out of the camera, LRT recognizes those also. So it appears LRT cannot process images with the extension .JPEG when rendering. As it is impossible for me to modify 100's of extensions from .JPEG to .jpg, I kindly ask you to adjust LRT's capability to process Photoshop's new export extension.

(my LRT version is 5.4 of 2020-03-10)
I'm not really sure what you are trying to do. LRTimelapse normally takes images exported by the LRTExport Plugin for Lightroom, that's what it's designed for.

Afaik Photoshop can export JPG images which should be recognized by Lightroom. But Photoshop is an Application for single image editing and is normally not used in a timelapse workflow. So please, let us know, what exactly you are trying to do and how your workflow looks like. Also if there is any special reason why you aren't using the intended workflow with Lightroom Classic.

I'll move this thread to the general questions, because this isn't a bug report.
My apologies: I meant Adobe Bridge i/o Photoshop. I was talking about the Bridge Export function which is part of the workflow you explained to me for those (such as me) who don't use LR. It has worked perfectly before, until Br/PS got an update. The export from bridge used to generate a sequence of .jpg images. Now it generates JPEG extensions. Those are not recognized by LRT to execute the final step: rendering. See my original post for the things I tried in order to validate this bug.
I don't see this as a bug in LRTimelapse at all.
It's a major annoyance how Adobe implemented that new export feature.
First: .jpg is the official extension, not .jpeg. In Photoshop, Lightroom etc. everywhere it's .jpg. At least the user should be able to choose.
Second the user should also be able to set a naming convention for export and not be stuck to exporting with original names.

However, I will add support for the .jpeg extension in the next update. But please note, that export will be slower, if the files are not named LRT_00001.*, LRT_00002.*.

I still recommend using Lightroom Classic when working with LRTimelapse, it has many advantages, for example the dedicated Sync Script, the Export Plugin a better an easier Workflow etc. Every user that has a license for Adobe Bridge usually also has a license for Lightroom Classic and in terms of usability both worlds are getting much closer now, because with the latest update to Adobe Camera Raw its user interface got very similar to Lightroom Classic's.
Thanks. I usually rename my files to be exported 0001.jpg, 0002.jpg etc., with leading zero's, as per your earlier instruction. That worked fine until the .jpeg thing. Of course, there is a workaround: exporting to TIFF and rendering a video from the TIFF files. However, one needs LRT Pro for that and I wonder if my PC can handle 500+ TIFF files since they are a lot bigger than JPEGs.
Thanks for including "JPEG" it in your next update. Any idea when that might become available?

And would you be so kind as to remind my where I can find a step-by-step workflow instruction using LR? I will have to switch over at one point, I guess.