LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Holy Grail challenge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heya... I'm back from collecting 400G of TL data and have at least 50 sequences to process over the next week. I tried some really crazy HG shots and am having a problem with this first one I'm processing. The shot has FOURTEEN HG bumps and I diligently went through each one in LR4 and matched exposures and it was absolutely perfect. But then, after creating the Auto-transitions in LrT2 and then deflicker and saving the metadata and reading it back into LR4 the result in LR was that the 2nd image (keyframe value 3) in each of the HG sets was much brighter than the first one. Here's my preview window:

Is this just a too-crazy thing to do? I'd love to figure it out cause all my keyframes looking pretty freakin incredible.

(thanks)

PS: Here's a link to my first test of a tight crop/pan over the huge D800 36Mp files.
https://vimeo.com/47831184
pswd: lookout
Hi, on the first sight the edit looks good, but I as well think the changes in exposure compared to the blue curve are too big. So maybe you get through your HG-Keyframes again, just the first one would be sufficient for a test. Do another matching in LR, save again, reload in LRT. Now see if the distance looks better/different. Apply Auto-Trans again see if anything changes, apply deflicker, see if anything changes.

BTW: I would try without reference area for this shoot. The rather dark ref.-area will not give you very accurate brightness values and could lead to problems (for example if you had any dynamic adjustments on in the camera).
Try clearing the ref-area with double click into the preview window.
BTW: Amazing scenery! Where is this?
>>Hi, on the first sight the edit looks good, but I as well think the changes in exposure compared to the blue curve are too big.

Do you mean my changes in exposure at capture-time or the changes in LRT2's preview window exposure curve compared to the transition curve?

>>So maybe you get through your HG-Keyframes again, just the first one would be sufficient for a test. Do another matching in LR, save again, reload in LRT. Now see if the distance looks better/different. Apply Auto-Trans again see if anything changes, apply deflicker, see if anything changes.

OK, I'll do that this morning and get back to you soon. (Just processing another sequence now and when that's done I'll try this again.) I'll just do the first set of kf's, but since I'm basically doing the same thing I did before I'd expect to still see that the brightness values will be changed between the HG keyframes. Or is there something different that I should be doing somewhere, like applying a different sort of transition, etc. ??

>>BTW: I would try without reference area for this shoot. The rather dark ref.-area will not give you very accurate brightness values and could lead to problems (for example if you had any dynamic adjustments on in the camera).

All dynamic adjustments were off, but I will eliminate the reference area. I can see that dark reference areas could be problematic.

-g

PS: This is the SF Bay Area as seen from the fire lookout on top of Mt. Tamalpais. The upper half of the mountain is shut down every evening at sunset, so I get the whole place to myself all night when I'm up there doing shifts. (It makes for very little sleep, but fantastic timelapse.) I'll send you a milky way star shot above the lookout as soon as it's done rendering in a couple of hours.
(2012-08-20, 14:53)yostopia Wrote: [ -> ]Do you mean my changes in exposure at capture-time or the changes in LRT2's preview window exposure curve compared to the transition curve?
I meant the relation between both curves.

Quote:PS: This is the SF Bay Area as seen from the fire lookout on top of Mt. Tamalpais. The upper half of the mountain is shut down every evening at sunset, so I get the whole place to myself all night when I'm up there doing shifts. (It makes for very little sleep, but fantastic timelapse.) I'll send you a milky way star shot above the lookout as soon as it's done rendering in a couple of hours.
Simply stunning! I'd love to shoot there!
I spent the day processing more of the non-HG sequences and will dive back into the HGs tomorrow. That said, I'm not at all sure what I should be doing differently than what I already did. In re-reading your post I can't seem to pick that up. Any suggestions for specifically what I ought to do?
Eliminate the reference area, start over - best would be reinitializing and doing the matching again. Something went wrong and it's hard to say what.
That seemed to help a lot. I got what I needed from those HG shots, although I think the problems I was having are:

1) better shooting technique when shooting in VERY difficult situations.

2) I have to figure out a better workflow in LR to see multiple keyframes at the same time but only have one frame selected. When you use the N (compare) function in LR all the images have to be selected, so you can't edit one of them independently. Do you know of a way around this?
Hi, I don't use the compare method. I just got into Development, and have the filmstrip at the bottom flipped out. The filter is set to >=1 Star, so I only see the keyframes. Now I start from left to right, select left first than the next, try Match Tonal Exp, if this doesnt work it edit the right one manually. Mostly it's only the exposure that have to be tweaked a little.
Trick: By placing the mouse over the fimstrip you are able to switch back and forth the images with the cursor keys.
Yah, that's what I was doing too, but even when making the filmstrip large as possible it's still too small to really see the subtleties of each frame. I'm going to submit a feature request to the Lightroom team to see if there might be a way of using compare with only one image selected in LR5. (Hey, it never hurts to ask!)
Pages: 1 2