LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Android device for qDslrDashboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi fellow Timelapsers,

I know this question has been asked at least a dozen times before but I'm looking for some recommendations on buying a powerful Android device for qDD and LRTimelapse.

I'm absolutely not familiar with the Android world. Currently, I'm using an old Asus Nexus 7 2012 with Android 5.1.1. It works ok but it is extremely slow and the battery is very weak. Yes, I could power it through a power bank and maybe I will continue with this solution but for an upcoming project, I would like check out a few other solutions.

I'm thinking about getting a Nokia, Samsung, Xiaomi or Huawei phone with at least a screen size of 6.5". This phone will only be used for LRTimelapse and qDD.
Are there any known brands or models that work especially well or give some troubles?

My setups is Sony AIII and A7RIII and LRT Pro 3.0 Timer.

Thank you very much for your help.
I also have a quite old Tablet, running Android 5.0.1. I personaly would not go for a phone, but a real tablet with a 10" screen, like this one: https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-1920x1200-W...211&sr=8-1
or one from Samsung. In my opinion it should have a fast CPU, around 4GB RAM. There are a lot of tablets below 200 Euro.
I would definitely not buy no-name junk from China. Also be carefull with Huawei and check that qdslrdashboard runs on their hardware ond OS
Thanks for the suggestions, Otto. A tablet would be nice and sooner or later, I will buy one but for my upcoming project, I want an ultra small and portable solution. For some reasons, I can only carry a very small bag with my cam, one lens, one mini tripod and a filter. That's the reason, why I was thinking about a smartphone.
In my opinion you don't need a brand new device for qDSLRDashboard. An old phone that one of your friends doesn't need anymore or a used one from ebay will do. I'm still doing most of my qDDB work with my old and reliable Nexus 7 2013. Exchanging the battery is quite easy and cheap, there are tutorials on youtube. Faster devices won't necessarily increase the performance when shooting Timelapse.
I have an older HTC One X on android 4.2.2, that used to work a few years back, not any longer, qDD crashes on open. No support for such old verisons any longer I assume?