LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Flicker free with electronic shutter?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More and more DSLR's have an electronic shutter option. Just have seen this on the new Panasonic G5!

I wonder if it is possible to get flicker-free shootings with exposure times down to 1/4000s or so, as there is no mechanical part causing inaccuracy of the actual exposure time. Technically it might be not much different to the video-mode.

Does anyone have any experience about this?
No, but do you have the full resolution?
Using the 180°-Rule with exposuretime 50% of intervaltime there's no flicker caused by the shutter to worry about I think.
And it will not help to get rid of flicker caused by unequal aparturevalues.

Regards Uli
(2012-09-14, 20:16)Ulli Wrote: [ -> ]No, but do you have the full resolution?
Using the 180°-Rule with exposuretime 50% of intervaltime there's no flicker caused by the shutter to worry about I think.
And it will not help to get rid of flicker caused by unequal aparturevalues.

Regards Uli

Yes, the G5 provides full resolution in electronic shutter mode, thats why this becomes interesting to me now. With that 180 degrees-rule everything will be fine, sure.

Aperture should be open to maximum when using automatic lenses, thats why its even more interesting to use that extended range in exposure time. Thus you just get a wider operation range without needing an ND-filter. Useful for day-to-night transitions.

I have seen a sample video from the GH2 which provides electronic shutter mode too, but not full image resolution. However, there was no flicker in that video, looks good so far...
Just found out maximum exposure time in electronic shutter mode is 1 second. Not very helpful that way. Damn.
Still interested in that topic. Has anyone tried a shooting with electronic shutter and very short exposure times around 1/4000s to 1/1000s or so?

Flicker free?
I have a G5 now and can answer my question by myself:

YES! The electronic shutter produces flicker free footage at very short exposure times. No deflicker required!

I had just the opportunity for 1 test, exposure time was 1/1000 s, and the result is just fine. Now I can use my 7-14 mm (has no filter thread) at daylight:-). And for all daylight capturing shutter wear is no problem any more.

One more nice finding concerning the 1 s maximum exposure time with electronic shutter: Pictures taken with electronic and mechanic shutter look exactly same, so no problem to change from electronic to mechanic shutter during capturing. Nice for holy grails.