LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Manual mode changing settings
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

When you have the camera in manual mode, how do you change the shutter speed, aperture and ISO without touching the camera?

Obviously one way is to shoot tethered from a computer but that seems completely overkill for what's needed. Are there any little devices out there to change the settings, so that expensive computers can be left at home.

cheers
Dan
Ack
Dan

There are various ways and some approaches depend on your camera. I use a Canon and CHDK on my S95 and G11, and Magic Lantern on my 50D.

I also have a Promote Remote which runs on Canons and Nikons.

I suggest you google all the above and see if they fit your needs.

There are also various iPod/iPhone/iPad apps that may help with changing your exposure in a controlled way. Google BRAMPING or bulb ramping.

Bottom line: there is a lot of help out there and you don't need to carry a PC.

Cheers

Garry
Hi Garry,

I've used CHDK but it's external control only allows remote shutter press doesn't it? i.e. you can't set the exposure time, aperture or ISO setting from it can you?

The Promote Remote looks like it does, but wow, $329 + $30 for a the cable Sad

Also I've just realised that the Canon 6D has a wifi controller built in:
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_...emote.aspx

I had hoped not to buy a new camera until they released a high megapixel camera - that may be hard to resist now.
Dan

You can use CHDK but you need to get into scripting.

I'm not sure what camera you have, so I don't know if Magic Lantern is good for you.

There are also other intervalometers out there that may work for you.

I have to say if you are going to get into timelapse and want really smooth bramps and extra control, including ND add-in or subtractions, I don't think you can beat Promote Remote: although ML is great if your camera can take it.

Good luck

Garry

(2012-10-12, 04:16)Danack Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Garry,

I've used CHDK but it's external control only allows remote shutter press doesn't it? i.e. you can't set the exposure time, aperture or ISO setting from it can you?

The Promote Remote looks like it does, but wow, $329 + $30 for a the cable Sad

Also I've just realised that the Canon 6D has a wifi controller built in:
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_...emote.aspx

I had hoped not to buy a new camera until they released a high megapixel camera - that may be hard to resist now.
...or just learn to do it manually without shaking the cam. I do this all the time.
Just be gentle.
Commercially I shoot multiple exposure images for 95% of my work, I have to roll the wheel on my Canon to adjust the shutter speed.
It works fine, I have a sturdy tripod, I move the wheel gently (I also shoot twice to ensure one is stable - but that is not an option for timelapse).