LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Night to day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi
Im looking for the best way to shoot night to day.

I will be going from dark to bright and i will be shooting manual and change the exposure during that time...but wouldnt i still be risking to get some really overexposed images.

Its easier the otherway around, day to night

Does anyone has some good idea or experience from it.

Im thinking about using aperture mode to
If you shoot manually you normally can observe the metering (on nikon you see a bar indication over/underexposure). Just wait until the bar has reached 1EV and then adjust to the opposite side. For example 1 EV under exposure makes me dial the rear dial on my Nikons 3 clicks to the left, this increases exposure by 1EV.
You don't need to worry about the lighting problems. There are so many good cameras available that they simply manage the surroundings themselves. You just have to focus properly.
Dorothy, that's right for most normal situations, but it's not the way timelapse shooting is done - at least refering to 99% of people doing timelapses for a longer period.
(2012-12-07, 23:09)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]If you shoot manually you normally can observe the metering (on nikon you see a bar indication over/underexposure). Just wait until the bar has reached 1EV and then adjust to the opposite side. For example 1 EV under exposure makes me dial the rear dial on my Nikons 3 clicks to the left, this increases exposure by 1EV.

Hi gwegner, I'm not sure on how to shoot holy grail timelapses. Why do you suggest to wait until exposure metering reaches -1EV? I usually adjust exposure by changing shutter speed pr iso when metering is about -1/3 or -2/3. I think i would obtain more quality in my images not underexposing them too much, right?
1EV is fine when shooting RAW. Otherwise you will have to adjust too often.
(2013-06-02, 17:15)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]1EV is fine when shooting RAW. Otherwise you will have to adjust too often.

Thank you fo your quick reply.
I must admit that this is the answer I was expecting to receive, so I will decide on my own depending on the specific situation.
Another similar question: on a sunny day with moving clouds and greatly variable exposure (I mean, 3-4 EV difference between sunny and cloudy moments) do you adjust every shoot or keep the same settings and try to deal with exposure in LR or LRTimelapse?
Thank you in advance
At daylight I keep the same settings. The RAW files have huge dynamic range so this is normally no problem.
(2013-06-06, 10:29)gwegner Wrote: [ -> ]At daylight I keep the same settings. The RAW files have huge dynamic range so this is normally no problem.
Guenther,
I'm going to be doing some Night to day (actually Twilight to Sunrise) shots soon and had a couple questions as well.
1- What do you think is a good interval for a smooth transition from deep twighlt to just after sunrise? Initially the views I have in mind do not face toward the sunrise - they will be facing South or West.
2.- Approx timespan? I'd probably start shooting if just for stills 30~45 min before sunrise normally, and I want to capture the warm first rays of the sun just after.
Would 45 min be a good span - or is that too much/little. Also don't want to have 1,000 frames either. D800 files are big....

I see in a couple of your tutorials you were using a 3 sec. interval. How do you choose the proper interval for a given scene??

thx!
Hi, it's had to say, because it depends of the latitude you live in - that will determine how fast it gets dark/bright and if you have any blue hour/golden hour and how long that lasts. Near the equator it will take only an hour from bright sunlight till pitch black darkness, in Norway it will take the whole summer ;-)

Just make your own experience, don't set the interval too long (but obviously longer as the longest exp time) - you can always accelerate a video later in post, but not slow it down very well. Good luck!
Pages: 1 2