LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Noise addition to reduce compression? Sharpening?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone add noise to flat areas of sky etc to reduce the appearance of compression artifacts on smooth gradients (particularly skies)? This is a technique I have used in the past to reduce the appearance of posterisation in still frames but I am not really sure if it would work on video. Has anyone tried?

Secondly image sharpening...
Do people sharpen their frames to enhance the appearance of detail in their shots? If so, what method? I can see how it might be possible to do this by exporting frames at the output resolution with sharpening in lightroom, or even doing a batch in photoshop to apply more advanced sharping, but is this worthwhile?

Thanks,

Alex
(2013-03-13, 16:00)alexnail Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone add noise to flat areas of sky etc to reduce the appearance of compression artifacts on smooth gradients (particularly skies)? This is a technique I have used in the past to reduce the appearance of posterisation in still frames but I am not really sure if it would work on video. Has anyone tried?

I would not recommend this since it will cost the compressor a lot of bandwidth that it will take from other parts of the image.
Okay thanks Gunther, I guess thats good advice!