LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Skipped Frames
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I bought a Sony a99 primarily to shoot time lapse sequences and have been disappointed with skipped frames that must be related to frame buffer size.

I'm shooting RAW files on to a fast Class 10 95MB/s SD Card. I operate the camera in all manual mode and don't use any noise reduction settings or stabilization(not sure if the later matters). I do use higher ISO settings at times for the night time shots (800 to 1250) which may have an effect on the buffer, I'm not sure.

Depending on the situation, I'm getting skipped frames anywhere from about 70 to 100 frames into the sequence. It's very frustrating and can effectively ruin a time lapse.

I've worked around the issue by creating a blended frame in After Effects by using the two surrounding frames and inserting it back into the sequence but it is very time consuming and has mixed results.

Even knowing approximately where the skipped frames are by watching the exported video, it can be very time consuming identifying the frames by plodding through the RAW files in Lightroom and monitoring the capture time in the meta-data.

I since learned to monitor the Capture Time in LRTimelapse making it much easier to scan down the list. It still can take awhile.

Which brings me to my question. Could your software be modified to search for possible missing frames by comparing the interval and flagging frames that do not comply?

Just a thought.

Thanks for any input.
Hi Stephens,
I would recommend using a faster card and longer intervals. Even if you could detect those missing frames in my experience you won't be able to fix it very well.
I'm always a friend of doing things right on shooting!
Best regards
Gunther
presumably, this is with RAW? Why not try JPG just to see if the dropped frame issue "goes away"? (I know that isn't what you want, but it would clearly show where the problem is)