LRTimelapse Forum

Full Version: Deflicker Based on EXIF Data only ? How?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have many time-lapse sequences with significant flicker which is the result of metering errors/fluctuations (not errors in aperture closing, etc).

The only simple but extremely tedious and time consuming method I have found is to manually correct exposure in Lightroom based on EXIF data alone for each image. This will typically fix 95%-100% of flicker, in my image sequences. For example if I have a sequence of exposures of 1/15,1/13,1/10,1/15,1/10 I would correct 0,-1/3 stop, -2/3 stop,0,-1/3 stop

This is actually a much simpler problem to solve in software than the complicated luminance based approaches found in LRTimelapse or GBDeflicker. Note: the deflickering in LRTimelapse or GBDeflicker seems to little (or make worse) this type of flicker.

Solving this type of deflicker before importing into LRTimelapse seems to be the solution.

Does anyone know of an automated way to correct for this type of flicker? Seems like this would be a great feature addition to LRTimelapse.

Of course using manual exposure alone and compensating manually over time (in the case of day to night, solves this problem, but this means I need to be constantly monitoring my cameras during capture which is not always feasible, and time consuming.

Note: Lightroom will generate the correction constants I need with "Match Total Exposures" Function (minus day to night correction). But LRTimelapse will not allow me to keep the luminance (exposure) corrections and then keyframe the gradual luminance changes from day to night.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Here is an example which has been deflickered (LRTimelapse deflickering made it worse). Yes, I tried several deflicker options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xJbQcr2g6E

Thanks,
Doug
I have noticed that on a pure manual exposure, non auto-iso, otherwise "flicker-less" video, the luminance of the scene can change quite noticeably in the LRTL preview baseline if there are any speculars in the image (e.g. flowing river). Use of luminance-based deflickering in such a case would actually CAUSE flicker!
I don't understand but your sequence does look like it needs a lot more deflicker.

(2013-04-04, 23:03)dcebik Wrote: [ -> ]Here is an example which has been deflickered (LRTimelapse deflickering made it worse). Yes, I tried several deflicker options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xJbQcr2g6E
Try to make a transition of the reference area moving from the trees to the pavement in the park (between the trees) so that the transmission move ends at about 0:15-0:20/0:39 and then remains there to the end. I think that might improve the result quite a bit.

See attachment.
Good luck, Hans.